Re: [precis] review template

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Thu, 18 November 2010 20:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:04:45 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: precis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [precis] review template

On 11/8/10 12:08 AM, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> hello,
>  during the meeting today, we started brainstorming on the review
> template. This is the initial outcome, fyi.
>
> Boxes

It would be quite helpful if Dave Thaler could provide a one-sentence
description of each "box" as discussed at the meeting, because otherwise
folks reading the email list will be clueless. :)

> Case folding; case sensitivity, preserve case

Ack. Naturally there are complexities involved (e.g, for what codepoint
blocks do we want to preserve case?).

> User input

Can we unpack that a bit? It might involve answers to at least the
following questions (and probably more):

a. Do users input the strings directly?

b. If so, how? (keyboard, stylus, voice, copy-paste, etc.)

c. Where do we place the dividing line between user interface and
protocol? (see RFC 5895)

I'm rereading http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/ now... ;-)

> Classes

I take it these are econceptually similar to the string classes proposed
in draft-blanchet-precis-framework, but we need to figure out which
classes we think are appropriate. It might help to ask:

a. Which other strings or identifiers are these most similar to?

b. Are these strings or identifiers sometimes the same as strings or
identifiers from other protocols (e.g., does an IM system sometimes use
the same credentials database for authentication as an email system)?

> User exposed to
> published/seen

Again, exactly how are users exposed to these strings, how are they
published? (vCard, web directory, business card, side of the bus, etc.)

> security/authentication decisions
> Impacts of false positves and false negatives

As we discussed in Beijing, authentication and authorization issues
probably fall under "impacts of false positives and false negatives".
What other security issues do we envision? (denial of service, etc.)

> tolerance of changes in the community

And also perhaps "desire for something better / more sustainable / more
agile w.r.t. Unicode versions".

> Delimiters such as .

I think we can generalize "delimiters" to something like "does the
string or identifier have internal structure?"

That's it for now...

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre