[precis] Fwd: Re: [http-auth] http-auth BOF

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Mon, 17 September 2012 15:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:43:57 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: "precis@ietf.org" <precis@ietf.org>
Subject: [precis] Fwd: Re: [http-auth] http-auth BOF

Of interest regarding SASLprep...

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [http-auth] http-auth BOF
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:31:16 +0900
From: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: KIHARA, Boku <bkihara.l@gmail.com>
CC: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>,
"http-auth@ietf.org" <http-auth@ietf.org>

I wanted to make exactly the same comment as Mr. Kihara.

To give a simple example, when inputting the character/word "flower",
most Japanese would type the four keys 'h', 'a', 'n', 'a', which simply
corresponds to the pronunciation of that word, "hana". This is then
converted to syllabic writing "はな", and from there to the actual
character for flower, "花", as it would be used in everyday writing.
However, there are other characters that are pronounced "hana", such as
"華" (a variant character for flower), "鼻" (nose), and so on. To select
the correct character, various keys (space, arrow keys, number keys,
return,...) are used. To make sure the right character is selected, the
user has to *visually* check (-> shoulder attack) and confirm it.

As a result, as Mr. Kihara already explained, these characters are not
used for passwords in Japanese. Because the same homophone problem for
Han characters applies in Chinese and Korean, the situation is the same
there.

In terms of entropy, Han characters would indeed contribute a lot, but
because they require visual checking when entering, they are in general
not suited for passwords.

Regards,    Martin.