Re: [precis] WGLC on draft-ietf-precis-mappings - David Black's comments

Takahiro Nemoto <t.nemo10@kmd.keio.ac.jp> Tue, 14 April 2015 09:46 UTC

From: Takahiro Nemoto <t.nemo10@kmd.keio.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:46:28 +0900
To: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
Cc: "precis@ietf.org" <precis@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [precis] WGLC on draft-ietf-precis-mappings - David Black's comments

Hi David-san and Alexey-san

Thank you very much for your review and your helpful suggestions.
I’ll try to modify the mappings document accordingly and submit it after WGLC.

> 2015/04/11 6:26、Black, David <david.black@emc.com> のメール:
>
> The draft generally looks good - I have a few comments.
>
> [1] (editorial) Clarifications to the discussion of string matching.
>
> Section 1
>
>   Further, the handling of mappings other
>   than case and width, such as delimiter, special, and local case, are
>   also important in order to increase the probability that strings
>   match as users expect.
>
> "increase the probability that strings match" ->
> 	"increase the probability that the resulting strings compare"
>
> Section 2.3
>
> OLD
>   The purpose of local case mapping is to increase the probability of a
>   matching result from the comparison between uppercase and lowercase
>   characters, targeting characters which mapping depends on locale or
>   locale and context.
> NEW
>   The purpose of local case mapping is to increase the probability of
>   results that users expect when character case is changed (e.g., map
>   uppercase to lowercase) between input and use in a protocol.  Local
>   case mapping selectively affects characters whose case mapping depends
>   on locale or context.
> END

I’ll reflect these comments in the next version.
However I’ll modify the last words from "locale or context” to "locale and/or context”.

> OLD
>   If an application
>   supports users' locale and/or context , local case mapping can
>   increase the probability of getting matching-results from the
>   comparison between strings.
> NEW
>   When an application
>   supports users' locale and/or context, use of local case mapping can
>   increase the probability that string comparisons yield the results that
>   users expect.
> END

I’ll reflect this comment.

> [2] (technical)  The use of mappings from SpecialCasing.txt is selective,
> based on locale and context.
>
> Section 1
>
> OLD
>   whereas the "local case mapping" rule provides an alternative to the
>   case mapping rule specified in the PRECIS framework since it handles
>   some locale-dependent and context-dependent mappings.
> NEW
>   whereas the "local case mapping" rule provides locale-dependent
>   and context-dependent alternative case mappings for specific target
>   characters.

I’ll reflect this comment.

> Section 2.3
>
> OLD
>   The target characters of local case
>   mapping are characters defined in the SpecialCasing.txt
>   [Specialcasing] file in section 3.13 of the Unicode Standard
>   [Unicode].
> NEW
>   The complete set of possible target characters for local case
>   mapping are the characters specified in the SpecialCasing.txt
>   [Specialcasing] file in section 3.13 of the Unicode Standard
>   [Unicode], but the specific set of target characters selected
>   for local case mapping depends on locale and/or context, as
>   further explained in the SpeicalCasing.txt file.

I’ll reflect this comment.

> OLD
>   The case folding method for a target character is to map into lower
>   case as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.
> NEW
>   The case folding method for a selected target character is to map
>   into lower case as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.
> END

I’ll reflect this comment.

> [3] (editorial) Incomplete explanation in Appendix B
>
> Appendix B only states the result of Unicode default case folding of
> U+00DF; it needs to also state the result of Special Casing case
> folding.

I’ll add a sentence to explain that U+00DF doesn’t becomes a different codepoint
by performing the case mapping in SpecialCasing.txt.

> [4] (technical) Clarify Appendix C
>
> OLD
>   As described in section Section 2.3, target characters of local case
>   mapping are characters defined in SpecialCasing.txt.  The Unicode
>   Standard (at least, up to version 7.0.0) does not define mappings
>   between "GREEK SMALL LETTER SIGMA" (U+03C3) (hereinafter referred to
>   as "small sigma") and "GREEK SMALL LETTER FINAL SIGMA" (U+03C2)
>   (hereinafter referred to as "final sigma") depend on context.  Thus,
>   final sigma is always mapped to small sigma by local case mapping.
>   (Cf.  Followings are comments in SpecialCasing.txt.)
> NEW
>   As described in Section 2.3, the possible target characters of local
>   case mapping are specified in SpecialCasing.txt.  The Unicode Standard
>   (at least, up to version 7.0.0) does not define any context-dependent
>   mappings between  "GREEK SMALL LETTER SIGMA" (U+03C3) (hereinafter referred
>   to as "small sigma") and "GREEK SMALL LETTER FINAL SIGMA" (U+03C2)
>   (hereinafter referred to as "final sigma").  Thus, local case mapping
>   is not applicable to small sigma or final sigma, so case mapping in
>   the PRECIS framework always maps final sigma to small sigma, independent
>   of context, as specified by Unicode Default Case Folding.
>   (Note:  Following comments are from SpecialCasing.txt.)
> END

I’ll reflect this comment.

Regards,
Nemo