Re: [ietf-provreg] Presentation on EPP present and future

Wil Tan <wil@cloudregistry.net> Thu, 24 June 2010 00:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:31:29 +1000
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Presentation on EPP present and future
From: Wil Tan <wil@cloudregistry.net>
To: Michael Young <myoung@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: Patrick Mevzek <provreg@contact.dotandco.com>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Michael Young <myoung@ca.afilias.info>wrote:

> As far as I understand the process to initiate further EPP work in the IETF
> would focus on a) defining a problem and subsequent scope of work  b)
> garnering support from the relevant area director  c) following the process
> of initiating a working group - mailing list where clear efforts are
> demonstrated, BOF, etc OR another option is to file an informational RFC.

I missed Patrick's presentation at the ccNSO tech day, but did read the
draft that he circulated a while ago.

>From my perspective, the main problem with how the implementations have
evolved is a loss of interoperability. IIRC, in the case of CZNIC, complete
schemas were defined to replace the standard domain and contact mappings,
reducing EPP into not much more than a framing protocol. Not sure exactly
the rationale for doing that, though I'm sure considerable thoughts have
been put into it. It does mean that registrars could not easily reuse
existing libraries or code written for one registries to talk to another
though.

> Its been said before, but I'll say it again, EPP is an Extensible protocol.
> Given its flexibility, I have yet to hear an argument as to why existing
> issues cannot be addressed using the extension system.

See above. Also, I believe there are some minor tweaks that could be done to
the existing schema that would make less inherent assumptions about the
registry data model (by making some fields optional). However, I don't any
way to handle schema changes in a backwards compatible manner.

Working along the lines of defining new mapping encompassing common use
cases would perhaps be worth pursuing and more productive than attempting to
change the core protocol. Patrick's work would certainly come in handy in
that case.

wil.

If a valid argument can be made, I am happy to support additional efforts on