push

Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com> Mon, 01 July 2002 03:44 UTC

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:38:06 -0700
From: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
To: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Subject: push
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

Hong,

could you please restate your case for pushing data, specificly stating
your reasoning for updating the tcp transport for epp.

thanks,

-rick

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 08:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
To: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Subject: RE: TCP Mapping
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

Hong,

> I see the WG (from those who spoke out) seems to lean towards
> developing this capability independent of the underlying transport. If
> that is the way to go, we will do it.

yes, I agree with you here.

-rick

From: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:16:42 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

Rick,

I would like to clarify a couple of points here:

First, the work on EPP PUSH over TCP is complimentary to that for BEEP. I
like BEEP and we all agree it is easier to use BEEP for EPP PUSH. But that
by itself should not exclude others from using the same capability over TCP.
Are you insisting that if one wants to support PUSH, s/he MUST use BEEP?
Please clarify. I personally prefer to leave it open and let the market
decide what to use in real life operations.

Second, if your objection to this work is about making changes to the Total
Length field in TCP mapping to support EPP PUSH, I hear your point and I am
open to it. The whole objective for me bringing this topic to the list is to
get feedback from you and others on what the best technical solution is to
support EPP PUSH over TCP. So far, I see the WG (from those who spoke out)
seems to lean towards developing this capability independent of the
underlying transport. If that is the way to go, we will do it.

So, do you support developing the EPP PUSH extension without changing the
Total Length field in the TCP mapping? I just need to confirm your opinion.

Cheers,

--Hong