Re: Some musings.

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net> Sun, 29 September 2002 23:29 UTC

To: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>
cc: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, brunner@nic-naa.net
Subject: Re: Some musings.
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:25:25 -0400
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

Evening Richard,

> At a sufficient level of abstraction the PROVREG is a industry specific
> (domain names) form of EDI. ...

Darn! I thought we were re-inventing the old xylogics terminal server
application suite -- in milking machine mode, serving a bunch of dumb
rs232 terminals on the A side, and pumping over enet on the B side to
SQL boxen. I so lack clue!

> IMHO the direction to take is to standardize the data elements ( XML
> Schemas etc) necessary for registrars and registries to AAA and exchange
> data but also support a number of transport mechanisms.

I suppose the operative bit here is "number of". I think we've got the
other bit covered, in principle.

I was expecting you guys to play the SCTP raga (beeponsteroids), with a
semi-respectable run into the numbers-space. Bubbles comes as a surprise.
Its so ... lightweight.  I so lack clue.

Nice to see you.

Eric

P.S. I think I actually don't know all of SOAP's shortcommings. I haven't
paid attention. Not my invited expertship brief at W3C. ENOCLUE.