Re: [provreg] Example of stupid inconsistencies between registries

"Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com> Mon, 05 March 2012 13:21 UTC

From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
To: Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@blacknight.ie>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:21:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.173.152.4]
Cc: "<provreg@ietf.org>" <provreg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [provreg] Example of stupid inconsistencies between registries

Patrik,

This was discussed on this list in late 2009.  Ulrich Wisser brought up on
the list on October 28, 2009 "that .SE and other registries considered to
become a "fat" registry and take in the public keys instead of the ds
records".  Support for a "thin" DNSSEC registry as a MUST with the option
for a "fat" registry was never discussed on the list.  I believe that a
mix of "thin" and "fat" would make things more complex since the
registrars would need to support both instead of one interface for the
registries that do support the "fat" model.  Think about handling
transfers between registrars where the gaining registrar supports only the
"thin" model and the losing registrar supports both "thin" and "fat".
There was support on this list and no concerns raised in adding support
for the key data interface to the draft.  You were active on the list
while this was being discussed and never expressed any concerns in support
for the key data interface.  What is in the RFC supports the models of
"thin" with the ds data interface and "fat" with the key data interface
with an either or option for the registries.  The registries that I work
on support the "thin" model with the ds data interface.

--

JG

James Gould
Principal Software Engineer