Re: Request to Move RFC 954 to Historic Status

"Derek J. Balling" <dredd@megacity.org> Thu, 05 September 2002 19:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:12:33 -0400
Subject: Re: Request to Move RFC 954 to Historic Status
Cc: ietf-whois@imc.org, ietf-not43@lists.research.netsol.com, dbwg@arin.net, Woeber@cc.univie.ac.at, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, w3c-p3p-specification@w3.org, iesg@isi.edu
To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
From: "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@megacity.org>
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 01:32  PM, Eric Brunner-Williams in
Portland Maine wrote:
> [ietf-whois and related lists]

I won't pretend that I'm on all of these mailing list in that CC line,
but I am at least on a few. :-)

> I decided not to include a mapping from the DCA language to a P3P
> schema,
> as for many, the policy scope question (controlling jurisdiction and
> legal
> theory, e.g., "fair trade" (US) vs "human rights" (EU)), not the
> mechanism
> for description and policy-scoped access, is more interesting, and
> both XML
> and schemas and/or DTDs are a distraction. I'll add it to -01.
>
> Your comments are welcome.

A lot of this discussion appears to sort of happen "over my head" so
please forgive me a bit if I seem stupid or something. ;-)

Part of my "night job" is the maintenance of the rfc-ignorant.org site,
including the "whois.rfc-ignorant.org" zone, listing both individual
domains with bad/missing/inaccurate WHOIS data, and [using a different
result code], ccTLD's with similar problems.  We have a wide variety of
users who utilize our service, including universities and commercial
establishments. Some of them, obviously, use "the entire list" and some
use "everything but the ccTLD wildcard entries". It is fairly difficult
to ascertain accurately what percentage is behaving how, in that regard.

In our experience, there is - as you note - two different mindsets to
registry operators. The USian perspective seems to be "you're part of a
shared namespace, other folks have a right to know who you are", and
the EU perspective seems to be, simply, "no you don't".  (!US,!EU) tend
to be either split into thirds between US, EU, and "no whois server at
all".

I believe that the main problem of RFC954 is that it tries to (well, it
DOES) define both a protocol and a policy. In the absence of a document
which defines "just the protocol", though, which could obsolete RFC954,
the removal of 954 to HISTORIC status is a misnomer. It *is* an active
protocol in use by registries around the world.

It is also an accurate statement to say that 954 is horribly out of
date and doesn't necessarily reflect "the real state of the world" in
many of the things it contains within the document, and I think such
"dated" statements taint the value of both the protocol portions of the
document, and the "spirit" of the document.

In my ideal world, I believe that the "vision" of complete WHOIS
information that 954 describes is still, in fact, a BCP, despite what
some EU members might think. (it's ok, you're entitled to disagree with
me *grin*)  I can respect the desire for privacy that some feel is
important. However, I think in a networking environment such as we have
today, it is equally - if not more - important, to be able to contact
folks via "a range of available methods", to be able to do so quickly
without jumping through various registry-induced hoops, and to be able
to obtain that complete info via a standardized protocol. (Too many
ccTLD operators point people at web pages, which - unless there is a
standard - breaks automated tools quite handily).

The short version of this is, I guess, "I think relegating 954 to
HISTORIC status is premature, and should be postponed until - at bare
minimum - a new/updated RFC defines the protocol, and preferably until
there is both a protocol RFC as well as a policy RFC".

We can debate what the policy RFC would say at a later date. ;-)

Cheers,

| Derek J. Balling             | "You can get more with a kind  |
| dredd@megacity.org           |  word and a two-by-four, than  |
| www.megacity.org/blog/       |  you can with just a kind      |
|                              |  word."               - Marcus |