Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol

Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com> Thu, 16 August 2001 04:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:59:17 -0700
From: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Subject: Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se

Mark,

frankly when EPP started SOAP was just an idea with HTTP as atransport and
a Apache module. The Registries need a highly robust transport with as
little cruft ( Apache would be ALOT of cruft ) as possable.

There was also the fact that no transport for SOAP existed at the time
so it was easy to see that SOAP was not an option.

you can still write up the docs for the transport, but you would have to
convince a registry to use if.

IMHO, SOAP isns't anything you would use where speed and security are
required. When it comes down to brass tacks, if we picked SOAP when we
started we wouldn't have any registries going live any time soon, and we
have one up and two more out the door in a couple of months.

Companies cant wait for standards w/o transports.The last time I checked,
I think  thats what we do here, write the standards for whats one the
wire.

Why doesn't the W3C just standardise on BXXP? Or, should I just not ask
that question and leave all the layer 10 questions out of it?

-rick