Re: [PWE3] [mpls] WG LC draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00.txt

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Wed, 23 March 2011 20:24 UTC

To: stbryant@cisco.com
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:25:53 -0400
Sender: curtis@occnc.com
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>, "lihan@chinamobile.com" <lihan@chinamobile.com>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, HUANG Feng F <Feng.f.Huang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>, Robert Rennison <Robert.Rennison@ecitele.com>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] [mpls] WG LC draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00.txt

In message <4D88E3A7.4040502@cisco.com>
Stewart Bryant writes:

> If there is IETF consensus to update RFC5586 with this change then the
> process is relatively simple:
>
> The document making the update notes that it does the update, and the AD
> draws attention to
> this in the IETF LC.
>
> Stewart

Stewart,

The restriction that GAL be at the bottom of stack was simply a
mistake IMHO.  I stated that during MPLS WG discussion before it
became an RFC but it went through as is anyway with that restriction.
Even then it was said that if there were a strong reason to relax it
that it could be considered later.  That time may have come.

There are a number of reasons that labels might want to go below GAL,
including to use OAM to diagnose the connectivity (or lack of) that is
experienced only for a specific label stack combinations where
multipath (link bundle, LAG, less applicable is ECMP in this case) is
used.

In this case though, the GAL under the LSP label currently indicates
that after the POP that OAM needs to be done (or more accurately that
a G-Ach of some type is being carried).  If the GAL is put above the
PW label it is in that same place and there is an ambiguity.  It is an
ambiguity that for some but not all defined OAM can be resolved by
looking at information in BFD that makes it unambiguous.  Unless I'm
mistaken, in CC/CV the label stack above GAL provides the context.

Another solution would be to put GAL under the PW label.  It would
probably be best to put GAL under PW but over the fat-pw label.  The
PW implementation, seeing the PW was not BOS, could look at the next
label to see if the label is reserved and specifically if it is GAL,
and if not process as payload (unless CW is also used).  If CW was not
used the only advantage is 4 bytes less in payload but the same size
in OAM packets.  This is an advantage though.

On a related topic, if we must put ELI plus entropy label on the stack
we have saved nothing relative to fat-pw plus CW.  ELI as a
termination of hash search may have other uses though (MPLS-TP).

I would be in favor of a very short draft just relaxing the
requirement that GAL be at the bottom of stack, independent of the
reason for doing so, since a number of reasons have emerged.  The
behavior would be to throw away the rest of the label stack when the
GAL label is exposed and look at the MPLS payload interpreting it as
an G-Ach channel (most often, but not exclusively, as OAM).  This
relaxation of the BOS restriction would be independent of usage.

Curtis