RE: [PWE3] clarification on draft-muley-dutta-pwe3-redundancy-bit-02.txt

"AISSAOUI Mustapha" <Mustapha.Aissaoui@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 25 January 2008 17:48 UTC

Subject: RE: [PWE3] clarification on draft-muley-dutta-pwe3-redundancy-bit-02.txt
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:47:48 -0600
From: AISSAOUI Mustapha <Mustapha.Aissaoui@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Keng Lim <Keng.Lim@ecitele.com>, pwe3@ietf.org

Keng,
thank you for reviewing this. See below for some elements of response.

Regards,
Mustapha.

5.3.2.a.ii should be corrected to state that the bit is cleared instead.
Here is a proposal for the new text. Let me know if you have any
comments:

"5.3.1.e. If while waiting for the acknowledgment, the requesting
endpoint
      receives a status notification message from its peer with the
      'preferential forwarding' status bit cleared in the requested PW
and set in 	all other PWs, it must treat this as an explicit
acknowledgment of the 	request and must perform the following:

            i. Abort the timer.

           ii. Activate the PW path.

          iii. Send an update status notification message with the
               'preferential forwarding' status bit clear on the newly
               active PW and set in all other PWs in the redudancy set,
and the 		   'request switchover' bit reset in all PWs in
the redundancy set."

"5.3.2.a.ii. ii. Send an update status notification message with the
               'preferential forwarding' status bit clear on the newly
               active PW and set in all other PWs in the redudancy set,
and the 		   'request switchover' bit reset in all PWs in
the redundancy set."

> 2) in section 5.3, The first sentence of the first paragraph
> states "There are PW redundancy applications which require
> that PE/T-PE nodes coordinate the switchover to a PW/MS-PW
> path such that both endpoints will be forwarding over the
> same path at any given time."
>
> Isn't that an implicit requirement for all PW redundancy
> applications based on definition given in section 4.
> regarding what Active and Standby state means? If there are
> PW redundancy applications where forwarding at both endpoints
> can be on different paths, what would those scenarios be?

MA> Yes, Section 4 states the requirement to forward user packets only
on a PW in Active state, which means that both ends must have found a
common PW is that state. The sentence above is adding the requirement
*to coordinate the switchover operation* in the case of the Independent
Mode. This is mainly to address situations where the two endpoints could
not find a common Active PW or when an operator wants to make a manual
switchover for maintenance.