RE: [PWE3] question on draft-mohan-pwe3-vccv-eth-01.txt

"Andrew G. Malis" <amalis@gmail.com> Mon, 05 March 2007 23:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:32:48 -0500
To: "Shah, Himanshu" <hshah@ciena.com>
From: "Andrew G. Malis" <amalis@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [PWE3] question on draft-mohan-pwe3-vccv-eth-01.txt
Cc: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>, "Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@alcatel-lucent.com>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com>

I would like to point out that the intent of the RFC 4447 text quoted
by Peter was to ONLY allow PHP to be used on the physical link
between the penultimate P router and the PE router where the PW
terminates and connects with the attachment circuit.  In this one
case only, the MPLS tunnel used to carry the PW terminates at the
penultimate P router rather than at the PE router. It was not meant
to be a general escape mechanism to allow the general use of PWs over
tunneling mechanisms other than MPLS or L2TPv3.

Further, to quote the WG charter,

"Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge (PWE3) will specify the
encapsulation, transport, control, management, interworking and
security of services emulated over IETF specified PSNs."

Ethernet and SONET are not IETF specified PSNs.

So, while there may be value in supporting PWs over
non-IETF-specified PSNs, I do agree with Stewart and Mark that a
charter change will be necessary to pursue this work.

Cheers,
Andy

--------