RE: FR OAM (was RE: PWE3 Arch/CW & RTP Order (Rough Conses us?))

"Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com> Fri, 16 May 2003 03:55 UTC

From: "Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: FR OAM (was RE: PWE3 Arch/CW & RTP Order (Rough Conses us?))
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:55:00 -0400
Sender: pwe3-admin@ietf.org
Cc: 'Sasha Vainshtein' <Sasha@axerra.com>, 'George Swallow' <swallow@cisco.com>, 'Danny McPherson' <danny@tcb.net>, pwe3@ietf.org
To: 'Ali Sajassi' <sajassi@cisco.com>, Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com>, "'tnadeau@cisco.com'" <tnadeau@cisco.com>, 'Mustapha Aissaoui' <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel.com>, 'David Allan' <dallan@nortelnetworks.com>

Ali's email is a good step forward to address the proper layering with respect to OAM. However, I think the biggest controvery is around MPLS OAM versus PW OAM. Ali addresses that specific issue only in one point, where he compares an LSP with an ATM VP and a PW with an ATM VC and argues that therefore both MPLS OAM and PW OAM need to exist. The rest of his email argues that client-layer OAM alone is not enough. That is correct, but it leaves open the question whether server-layer OAM should be MPLS OAM, PW OAM or both.

Neil responded to Ali's VP/VC argument that it doesn't apply because a PW is not a networked entity and begins and ends at the same points as the LSP over which it is carried. That is  indeed the case, although there are indications that people see exceptions. More about that at the end of this email.

So assuming that a PW is not networked, what is the right solution: MPLS OAM, PW OAM or both?

I think it depends on the way the core MPLS network is set up. If the core network is strictly point-to-point (i.e. Neil's ideal co pkt-sw network), I believe MPLS OAM is sufficient. E.g. it is sufficient to do connectivity verification for the LSP. If the LSP is down, obviously all PWs running over that LSP are down and the related NSP entities can be notified of the defect.

Tom argued in earlier emails that LSP Ping is not sufficient and that you need VCCV-Ping for accurate OAM. In the absence of ECMP, I don't agree. Ultimately, one needs to know whether the NSP entities at either side of the PW are bound correctly. However, that can only be verified with a continuity verification in the native service layer (i.e. the client layer). VCCV-Ping might come "closer" than LSP Ping, but in the end it only proves connectivity within the server layer.

In a network with ECMP, it is almost impossible to determine with full certainty connectivity of an LSP. In that case, VCCV-Ping is required. Maybe this is sophistry, but in my mind the use of VCCV-Ping doesn't turn the PW layer into some nebulous in-between layer. I would argue that it is a sensible way to do MPLS OAM in a network with ECMP.

Currently, the vccv-draft specifies the tools (i.e. VCCV-Ping), but doesn't specify in great detail how they should be used. I propose that the following additions/modifications be made to the draft.

1) In core networks without ECMP, LSP Ping should be used to verify server-layer connectivity. In core networks with ECMP, VCCV-Ping should be used. Which of the two will be used is provisionable by the service provider. To the client layer it will be invisible which of the two is being used. In both cases, the same fault indications will be given (albeit that in the case of LSP-Ping all NSP entities bound to an LSP will be triggered, whereas in the case of VCCV-Ping only the NSP entity bound to that specific PW will be triggered)

2) PEs must support both LSP-Ping and VCCV-Ping. The negotiation process specified in the vccv-draft should be modified to include LSP Ping as an option for OAM.

3) LSP-Ping or VCCV-Ping requests will be sent by both PEs at regular intervals. A PE will interpret failure to receive a reply to its own ping and/or failure to receive  ping requests from the far side as an error and it will give the appropriate defect indication  to the client layer. The timer interval will be configurable by the service provider and will likely differ depending on the client layer.

4) Practically all client services are bi-directional, whereas LSPs are uni-directional. For the purposes of PW OAM, associated up and downstream LSPs must be seen as a pair. The reply to an upstream ping request will be returned over the associated downstream LSP or PW.

5)A comment on draft-nadeau-pwe3-oam-msg-map-00:
The draft proposes in several instances to tear down the PW in response to error indications in the client layer (e.g. ATM AIS). I believe that that is fundamentally wrong. The ATM AIS and RDI messages are suffient to inform other ATM nodes about failures. The client layer should take care of itself. The PW should stay up.

Networked PWs
As stated at the beginning of this email, a PW is not a networked entity. However, there are indications that people see exceptions to that. Eric Rosen mentioned it in several of his emails and the recent discussion on TTL values (concluding that TTL should not always be set to 2) is another example.

If PW becomes indeed a switched entity, we should bite the bullet and turn it into a full-blown MPLS layer. However, because of PW requirements, it would be  strictly point-to-point and it could rightfully be called the "PW Layer". The OAM principles stated above would still apply.

A final note: the fact that this email proposes a solution based on LSP Ping and VCCV Ping does not mean that I don't see the value of Y.1711. On the contrary. However, I think that the use of VCCV Ping over point-to-point paths (which PWs are, after all) avoids many of the problems identified in draft-allan-mpls-oam-frmwk-04. By being specific, I hope that we can get beyond the religious debates. I think there is an urgent need for a good OAM solution and I hope this email will help us get there.

Peter