Re: [PWE3] RE: [L2tpext] Re: Local CE IP Address AVP

Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com> Wed, 04 May 2005 13:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 09:38:04 -0400
From: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com>
To: Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] RE: [L2tpext] Re: Local CE IP Address AVP
Cc: Sharon Galtzur <sharon@AXERRA.com>, Elena Vinkler <elena@AXERRA.com>, "PWE3 WG (E-mail)" <pwe3@ietf.org>, l2tpext@ietf.org, Alik Shimelmits <alik@AXERRA.com>
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Sasha,

Please see a couple of comments inline.

Circa 5/4/2005 6:19 AM, Sasha Vainshtein said the following:
> Carlos and all,
> Please see a brief comment inline.
> CC'ing also the PWE3 WG
> I have snipped the parts that are not relevant to this comment.
>
> Regards,
> 			Sasha Vainshtein
> e-mail:		sasha@axerra.com
> phone:		+972-3-7659993 (office)

They are arguably two different sets of objects. RFC3931 defines the
"L2TPv3 Pseudowire Type" (Section 10.6) as "a 2-octet value used in the
Pseudowire Type AVP and Pseudowire Capabilities List AVP"; OTOH,
although the reference [1] is missing in
draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-09, it defines "Pseudowire Type" values
to be used with draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol.
The two spaces have different allocation policy as well.
Why is it this way? I suppose the reasons are mostly historical, and
while it may add complexity, it also keeps separation and adds flexibility.

> E.g., consider the case of multi-segment PWs where
> L2TPv3 segments must be stitched to MPLS segments with
> the appropriate interworking of both data path and the control plane...

In this case, the IWF should also contemplate the "L2TPv3 Pseudowire
Type" <-> "Pseudowire Type" mapping, as another object to interwork.

> The fact that no L2TP PW values have been allocated yet (I've checked
> the registry before writing this email!) speaks for itself.

RFC3931 defines the number space but not the values. From RFC3931:
      Defined PW types that may appear in this list are managed by IANA
      and will appear in associated pseudowire-specific documents for
      each PW type.
   There are no specific pseudowire types
   assigned within this document.  Each pseudowire-specific document
   must allocate its own PW types from IANA as necessary.

And values are suggested in the respective companion documents:
draft-ietf-l2tpext-pwe3-fr-05.txt
draft-ietf-l2tpext-pwe3-hdlc-05.txt
draft-ietf-l2tpext-pwe3-ethernet-03.txt
draft-ietf-l2tpext-pwe3-atm-03.txt
draft-ieft-l2tpext-tdm-00.txt

The allocation of suggested values for "L2TPv3 Pseudowire Type"
(included in those documents) was requested from IANA months ago. The
fact the values do not appear in the registry may be just saying that
there is a slow response from IANA.

Best Regards,

--Carlos.

> ... snipped to the end ...