Re: [PWE3] New draft - Efficient Multiplexing of ISDN User-Network Interfaces over TDM Pseudo-wires

Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s@rad.com> Sat, 12 January 2013 17:28 UTC

From: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s@rad.com>
To: Giles Heron <giles.heron@gmail.com>, Javi Muñoz <javi@trajano.us.es>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:26:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [207.232.33.112]
Cc: "pwe3@ietf.org" <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] New draft - Efficient Multiplexing of ISDN User-Network Interfaces over TDM Pseudo-wires

Giles,

I agree that a lot of the rationale behind pulling individual channels out of TDM to save the silence time has gone away.

However, I can think of a few use cases for AAL2 (and I am interested in hearing what Javi has to say).

The obvious case is satellite links. Here BW is still expensive, but it may be the only way to get to out-of-the-way places.

The other is the case of many ISDN channels on a link towards a network where they will be converted to VoIP flows.
Here the overhead of sending each VoIP flow together on the link may be prohibitive.
There are other solutions to this problem (e.g., RFC 4170), but using AAL2 may be a practical way of solving this problem.

Y(J)S