[PWE3] RE: Concern with draft-ietf-pwe3-enet-mib-10

"David Zelig" <Davidz@corrigent.com> Wed, 11 April 2007 06:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:21:50 +0300
From: David Zelig <Davidz@corrigent.com>
To: Ken Young <KenY@gridpointsystems.com>, pwe3@ietf.org
Cc: Lyndon Ong <lyong@ciena.com>, Brian Smith <BrianS@gridpointsystems.com>, Chris Barrett <ChrisB@gridpointsystems.com>, tnadeau@cisco.com
Subject: [PWE3] RE: Concern with draft-ietf-pwe3-enet-mib-10

Ken,
Please see inside

________________________________

From: Ken Young [mailto:KenY@gridpointsystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:23 PM
To: Ken Young; David Zelig; pwe3@ietf.org
Cc: Lyndon Ong; tnadeau@cisco.com; Brian Smith; Chris Barrett
Subject: RE: Concern with draft-ietf-pwe3-enet-mib-10

David,

As I previously stated, I checked into the view of this from the MEF.
The MEF is remaining at the services level.  As such, they define the
attributes of a particular service but not how it gets translated into a
particular technology such as pseudowires.  The MEF definition is also a
moving target.

As such, I agree that we can not fix the change the scope of the current
PW-ENET MIB to align with the MEF.
[DZ] OK.

However, it should align with the requirements of RFC4448.  Section 4.7
and Appendix B state that an Ethernet flow can be mapped to a pseudowire
using the port, VLAN and p-bit values.  I would like to see this added
to the PW-ENET MIB.
[DZ] This functionality do not exist in any working implementation as
far as the authors know (also verified on the PWE3 list few months ago -
before we removed it). We believe that the MIB created by the group
should reflect current working practice.

Thanks

David

Thanks,

Ken