Re: [PWE3] [mpls-tp] MPLS vs MPLS-TP (changed subject)

liu.guoman@zte.com.cn Mon, 31 August 2009 02:44 UTC

To: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
From: liu.guoman@zte.com.cn
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:32:51 +0800
Cc: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org, Matthew.Bocci@alcatel-lucent.com, IBryskin@advaoptical.com, mpls-tp@ietf.org, pwe3@ietf.org, stbryant@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [PWE3] [mpls-tp] MPLS vs MPLS-TP (changed subject)

Neil
 thank you for your explaining in detail. according to my understanding.
is it unnecessary for co-ps network to have source label and PID label
information in the traffic unit?  packet forwarding is only depend on
destination label in traffic unit? eg. if a etherent service need to be
transported by MPLS-TP LSP, it may transport the etherenet service to
far-end PE of LSP. it is the key problem to distinguish which service the
packet will belong to in the far-end PE if no pw label informations.

maybe my uderstanding be true?

best regards
liu

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com>
2009-08-29 17:32

收件人
<liu.guoman@zte.com.cn>
抄送
<IBryskin@advaoptical.com>, <Matthew.Bocci@alcatel-lucent.com>,
<mpls-tp@ietf.org>, <pwe3@ietf.org>, <pwe3-bounces@ietf.org>,
<stbryant@cisco.com>, <yljiang@huawei.com>
主题
RE: [PWE3] [mpls-tp]   MPLS vs MPLS-TP (changed subject)

Hi Liu...A more definitive explanation of how the 3 network modes arise,
and what the consequences are for labelling in them, can be found in G.800
(largely written by my colleague Andy Reid).   I've written a (hopefully
easier to read than G.800) internal paper on this topic, which also looks
at a more optimal architecture where the 3 modes work in concert, which I
could send you, but see if this description helps:

Note - There is more to networking that just labelling
considerations....in particular one needs to understand how resource
assignment works in each of the 3 modes and why, for example, a connection
can only have a single-source.  This is all addressed in G.800.

All the 3 network modes that use directed routing (see Note) use
destination forwarding, ie some label that points towards the sink point
of the connection (co) or flow (cl).

Note - Original Ethernet does not use directed forwarding.  It uses a
'broadcast at source filter at sink approach' (at least before SAs are
learnt in the DP).  Further, the addresses here are not topologically
significant, ie they don't tell one where an address is, so the addresses
here are actually names..  The first step to make any network mode
scalable is to use addresses that are related to topology/location (but
see Aside below) and some process for route calculation (which can be
centralised or distributed).  Aside=> Although one should make addresses
related to topology (for aggregation purposes) they should not be totally
bound to topology.....if they are then one needs to change the addressing
structure with any change in topology.

We usually do not take any source labels into account when forwarding (any
mode).

The cl-ps mode does not create any transport constructs before it sends
traffic units.  This means each traffic unit must contain all the
information that is required.  And key here is an absolute DA, an absolute
SA and a client payload PID....these can all be a called labels, ie DA
label, SA label, PID label, in general sense.

The co-cs mode can apply to time, freq (eg lambda) and space (eg fibre)
resource dimensions.  The time dimension of resource is of most interest.
The co-cs mode uses regular time-slices.  Each time slice has a
fixed/known start epoch (this is the forwarding DA-proxy label) and
(crucially) duration.....it is both these point that makes the co-cs mode
fully resource deterministic at all scales....the former point allows the
network to be treated as a synchronous state machine, whilst the latter
point simply assigns a known/fixed resource to a client at all points in
the network.  We do not need to add a SA label to the co-cs mode traffic
units (time-slots) because the parent transport connection we create can
only have a single source.....indeed, this single source property cannot
be violated in the co-cs mode because of the 2 previous points that
coupled labelling and resource assignment.  We also do not need to add a
PID field providing the client is consistently the same.  {Aside=> If one
does want to add a PID field one can do so with GFP which is a ngeneric
adaptation function initially designed for the co-cs mode.  GFP provides
other adaptation properties, like client traffic unit delineation and
error checking.  Ethernet can also use GFP adaptation (eg for PBB-TE type
of Ethernet where the Ethertype 0x801F has been assigned for this
purpose.}

The co-ps mode can only apply to the time-dimension.  Here the time
resource is carved-up using irregular time-slices.  This means both start
epoch and duration (ie actual resource used) are decoupled actions.
Further, neither may be fixed/known in advance.....this is why more care
has to be exercised here if one wants to have good control over resource
allocation (ergo performance SLAs to clients).  One consequence of this is
that we must add an explicit forwarding DA-proxy label to each co-ps
traffic unit.  If we respect the requirement of a connection (ie single
source)....which is critical for resource management considerations.....we
can omit a SA label.  Similarly, if we only carry a single client we can
omit a PID label (we could however add a PID, like the one found in GFP
say and as used by the co-ps mode, should we require that a single/same
connection carries different clients).  In other words, in the co-ps mode
we require that the (parent) connection construct we create carries SA
label and (usually) PID label information and thus these do not need to be
carried by the (child) traffic units.

We can also take a further short-cut on the DA forwarding label if
required.  The forwarding label must be larger enough in code-space to
distinguish the largest number of clients that can appear a single link
connection (=hop), noting that this link connection in layer N is provided
by an end-end network connection at layer N-1.  This leads to the
well-known forwarding paradigm of 'label-swapping' and it has been used by
FR, ATM and MPLS.  However, there are distinct advantages (esp wrt to OAM
considerations) to not swapping forwarding labels and  adding an absolute
SA label to child traffic units.  This is how PBB-TE works, and it arises
because the original cl-ps Ethernet traffic unit, which has absolute SA/DA
labels because of its cl-ps mode origin, is re-used in PBB-TE (though
PBB-TE and native cl-ps Ethernet form quite distinct/different layer
networks even though they share an identical traffic unit).  One
consequence of this is that such a network is self-protecting against
misconnectivity defects without running any OAM at all.

Does that help Liu?

regards, Neil