Re: [PWE3] Mandatory Control Word

Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com> Wed, 27 October 2010 06:53 UTC

From: Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com>
To: "stbryant@cisco.com" <stbryant@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 02:55:16 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] Mandatory Control Word

Stewart,

	I agree with your suggested limitations to new PW types
and suggestion to recommend its use for existing PW types.

	However, the observation about deployed systems - when
taken together with what appears to be a growing impression
that use of the control word with all PW types may be a good
idea - seems to argue that we would (eventually) need a BCP
that specifies use of the control word, and possibly we may
even have to publish a "non-use of PW control word considered
dangerous" RFC.

	I don't see a way to avoid this, assuming that is where
we are headed, but it might be good to be clear on whether or
not that _is_ where we are headed.

	It also causes me to wonder if there are implementations
deployed in the field where use of the control word is not a
configurable capability.  Certainly, if deployed equipment is
all capable of being configured to always use control words,
then it is not unrealistic to suggest that configuring things
that way would simplify future implementations.

--
Eric