Re: [PWOT] RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt

"Andrew G. Malis" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com> Mon, 26 February 2001 12:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:40:02 -0500
To: David Zelig <Davidz@corrigent.com>
From: "Andrew G. Malis" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [PWOT] RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt
Cc: "'Andrew G. Malis'" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com>, pwot@ietf.org
Sender: pwot-admin@ietf.org

David,

>Regarding draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-02.txt, I suggest to add an option to
>encapsulate the data without CEM label. It is applicable for systems that do
>not use the LDP procedure for CEM/VC negotiation (such manual configuration
>or RSVP-TE).

I think you might have missed a couple of things in the draft:

Section 5 says "Each packet has one or more MPLS labels, ...", so you don't
need the CEM label if you really don't want it.  Section 8 also says, in
discussing the LDP signaling, "Alternatively, static label assignment may
be used, or a dedicated traffic engineered LSP may be used for each CEM
circuit."  So I think you already get what you wanted.

I would also like to point out that when using two labels, even if you only
wish to provision the circuits and not use the LDP signaling, the inner
labels can still be provisioned within a particular point-to-point traffic
tunnel that was set up using RSVP-TE.  Since the inner labels only have
visibility and significance at the endpoints of the traffic tunnel
(assuming you're not using penultimate label popping), provisioning isn't
onerous, especially if you're using a provisioning application or tool of
some sort.  Of course, the degenerate case is that you have only one TDM
stream per traffic tunnel, but that's up to the operator to decide, not the
protocol designers.  And as I pointed out, the draft allows you to only use
one label if you so desire.

Cheers,
Andy