Re: IANA document allocation

Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com> Wed, 22 December 2004 17:36 UTC

From: Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: IANA document allocation
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:36:32 -0700
Cc: "'W. Mark Townsley'" <townsley@cisco.com>, erosen@cisco.com, "PWE3 WG (E-mail)" <pwe3@ietf.org>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Thomas,

I think that the private use terminology is better , and I will change
the "vendor specific" range to "private use".
I do like the expert allocation method, but to support some of the
objections made here, I think it should be a "light" expert review.
I would put forward that the expert should be required to present strong
proof why a particular value should not be allocated.
For values allocated in the data plane ( like for the CW ) I think we
should probably only have a "IETF consensus" section. The potential for
abuse in this area is significant.
However, things like error status codes are probably ok with a FCFS
section. The PW type should probably be expert review, and private use.
PW type may be  easily converted from one to another, so even if
something starts out into private use, and equivalent code point can be
allocated by expert review,

Luca