RE: [PWOT] draft-anavi-tdmoip-01.txt

"Motty Anavi" <motty@radusa.com> Tue, 06 March 2001 20:24 UTC

From: Motty Anavi <motty@radusa.com>
To: "Andrew G. Malis" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com>
Cc: pwot@ietf.org, Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s@rad.co.il>, Schwarzbauer Hanns Juergen <HannsJuergen.Schwarzbauer@icn.siemens.de>
Subject: RE: [PWOT] draft-anavi-tdmoip-01.txt
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 15:18:55 -0500
Sender: pwot-admin@ietf.org

Hi Andy,
     Thank you for your comments. First of all, let me clarify that the
purpose of the document was to propose a high-level guidelines for a
solution. It did not go in to the technical details.
     Having stated that, we fully intend to go over a much more detailed
technical solution. Our assumption was that it was preferable to present a
high level view and concentrate on the requirements, so that we could
establish a work group charter, and drill down later.

   We're also not assuming any specific infrastructure in place that would
create undue constraints on the implementation of the interworking function.

     As for the specific issues you raised regarding the draft:
1. Clocking issues - While this is not referenced in the draft directly,
non-synchronous timing recovery is can be handled through the clocking
mechanism. Adaptive clocking can be used for that.
2. QoS - As an interworking function, the protocol should allow for the
transporting layer to distinguish and prioritize the TDM traffic over lower
priority traffic. As such, mechanisms allowing prioritization and
differentiation should be supported. We would add a section dealing with QoS
interaction. We shouldn't consider QoS requirement of any underlying layer,
but rather provide a mechanism for that layer to prioritize the time
critical data using it's own mechanisms.
3. AAL1 + AAL2 assumptions - I agree that additional facilities should be
outlined for the exact compensations that are to be made for AAL1 and AAL2
to be more efficient, however, the crux of the matter is the use of a
pre-existing standards infrastructure in interworking function to provide
the basis for a more detailed implementation.
4. Use of RTP - We are not proposing using RTP. The overhead is quite large,
considering we can get the RTP clocking benefits through the existing AAL
structures.

We do consider this draft a good solution and don't consider this just as an
informational draft.

Hopefully, this will clarify our approach to this draft and also serve to
enhance your understanding of TDMoIP.

Thanks again for your comments.

-- Cheers, Motty