[Qirg] Other Security-Related Activities related to Quantum Computing...

"Dr. Pala" <madwolf@openca.org> Tue, 26 March 2019 18:16 UTC

From: "Dr. Pala" <madwolf@openca.org>
To: qirg@irtf.org
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 19:16:46 +0100
Subject: [Qirg] Other Security-Related Activities related to Quantum Computing...

Hi QIRG,

I just wanted to provide a very short summary of some of the efforts
that are going on, today, and that are aimed at mitigating the
(possible) factorization threats for "classic" algorithms in
cryptography. The work is not focused on the use of Quantum-Based
techniques, but to provide a way to protect our trust infrastructures
(PKIs) today and in the long run. In a nutshell, we are working on two
different time-horizons.

*For short-term solution*, the use of PSKs mixed with PublicKey
cryptography provides the possibility to secure data today that is
"quantum-resistant". This leaves the distribution of the PSK quite an
open problem that might be solved with QKD where possible/available.

*For the long term*, there are two different activities going on right now.

/The first activity/ is about selecting the set of algorithms that can
be proven to be secure in a post quantum-computing world. Hash-based
signatures have already been standardized, however other schemes that
can provide different characteristics (e.g., encryption, key exchange,
etc.). Although the process has been going on for a while, it will take
several more years to identify the best ones.

/The second activity/ (for the long run) is how to provide hybrid
infrastructures that can use "traditional" and "quantum-resistant"
cryptography together. The approach is meant to provide (a) backward
compatibility (as much as possible) for devices that, today, do not
understand the new algorithms, (b) provide protection for high-value
target (e.g., Root and Intermediate CAs), and (c) integrate the use of
the hybrid approach to protect all parts of a PKI: /not only
certificates but also revocation information and provisioning services/.

I know this is orthogonal with the work that the group has focused on so
far (nothing to do with transmitting (q)-bits on the fiber or
networking), however I think it might be useful for people on the list
to have an overview of other quantum-related activities from the
security area.

/*Last but not least, I want to thank again for the organization of the
workshop - unfortunately I could attend only the first half because of
conflicts, but I really liked the lecture and I wanted to thank again
everybody!*/

Cheers,
Max

--