Re: Spin bit - semantics - rtt and loss

<alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com> Fri, 23 March 2018 08:35 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 09:35:12 +0100
From: alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com
To: Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <mikkelfj@gmail.com>
CC: "Lubashev, Igor" <ilubashe=40akamai.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "quic@ietf.org" <quic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Spin bit - semantics - rtt and loss

Hi Mikkel,

One thing about patterned sequences as opposed to square, is their lack of
robustness to mild loss or reordering. That's unfortunate, because passive
measurement is primarily useful when such things occur ...

To me the bottom line is that properly addressing this need has a cost, and that
this cost may exceed one single bit (above the 1 or 2 spin bit(s)).

The alternative then becomes

  (a) let's handle packet loss ; need k bits ; that may not fit in the currently
"available" bits in the type byte ; let's frankly allocate them

  (b) packet loss handling deemed luxury

On 23/03/2018 08:50, Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen wrote:
> It should be noted that a Gray counter would not count linearly, but have one
> bit changing for every power of 2 larger amount of data sent (details may vary).
>
> The spin bit could also be encoded by some phase of the pattern, for example
> sending the same 8 bit count twice, but with one of the counts inverted when
> spin is set. But that makes things more difficult to implement and looses some
> precision when very few packets are sent.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen
>

> On 23 March 2018 at 08.42.28, Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen (mikkelfj@gmail.com
> <mailto:mikkelfj@gmail.com>) wrote:
>
>> Just to summarize the square wave discussion:
>>
>> It is possible to send many other patterns one bit at a time that deal with
>> both short and long range loss.
>> At some point I suggested emitting a 8 bit Gray code counter which is emitted
>> one bit at a time. Optionally repeated twice before changing in order to
>> better sync the signal. This repeats every 8 packets or every 16 packets.
>>
>> It was designed for loss detection - not spin or RTT because that isn't
>> encoded into signal. But it can be used to sync the instance of a separate
>> spin bit. This would use two bits.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen
>>

>> On 23 March 2018 at 01.13.01, Lubashev, Igor
>> (ilubashe=40akamai.com@dmarc.ietf.org
>> <mailto:ilubashe=40akamai.com@dmarc.ietf.org>) wrote:
>>
>>> Since we decided to put some work into spin bit, albeit in a separate
>>> document from V1, here are some thoughts.
>>>
>>> It is nice that spin bit can be used to estimate rtt. I am sure that it is
>>> useful to many well-meaning people. It is not very useful to me, though.
>>>
>>> When I debug network problems, they are much more likely to be about lost
>>> packets. And I like to be able to know packet loss frequency and pattern
>>> very accurately. (I am assuming an encrypted packet number, or the problem
>>> would be trivial.)
>>>
>>> I would prefer, if we have a spin bit, for it to spin not every rtt but
>>> every, say, 10 packets that an endpoint sends. Client sends 10 packets with
>>> 0 and then 10 packets with 1, repeat. Sever does the same.
>>>
>>> So maybe two spin bits -- one for rtt and one for loss? I would assume that
>>> loss bit would assist in rtt estimation in case of loss.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> - Igor

Thank you.