Re: On the passive measurability of QUIC

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 06 June 2017 17:19 UTC

Subject: Re: On the passive measurability of QUIC
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>, Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Cc: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>, IETF QUIC WG <quic@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 18:19:48 +0100

See my little postscript at the end.

On 06/06/2017 10:19, Mike Bishop wrote:
> Regarding the billing question….  For mobile devices, I believe the
> major OSes support pushing policies to the clients that
> differently-billed traffic should be sent over a different APN.  We’re
> doing work in RS3 to enable more apps to hook into these policies and
> have their traffic correctly routed to the right APN.  (In previous
> versions, it was implemented in our HTTP stack and required extra work
> if you were using your own stack.) This might just be a problem that
> gets solved at a different layer, rather than via traffic inspection,
> and not something we need to cater to in QUIC (or TLS).

I wrote this draft also:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-01.txt

- It's not so much about middleboxes that change things, as about boxes
that look at things. Some of this may be relevant to this thread. It's
not specifically about QUIC, but I suspect that was what I had partly in
mind as I tried to understand the implications of encrypting teh cntrol
information.

Gorry