Re: [radext] [internet-drafts@ietf.org] New Version Notification for draft-hartman-radext-bigger-packets-00.txt

Peter Deacon <peterd@iea-software.com> Tue, 22 October 2013 00:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:29:35 -0700
From: Peter Deacon <peterd@iea-software.com>
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans@painless-security.com>
Cc: radext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [radext] [internet-drafts@ietf.org] New Version Notification for draft-hartman-radext-bigger-packets-00.txt

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I've written a draft that proposes expanding the maximum packet size for
> RFC 6613-based transports including RFC 6614. This draft is
> intentionally designed to be minimal: no capability negotiation as an
> example.

> A few details such as the registration of code points are left out, but
> I believe the draft is complete enough to evaluate the technical
> approach.

> My draft is intentionally simpler than Peter's approach (or the part of
> it that deals with this)

The way my draft is structured one can simply provide a non-default
administrative option at each peer enabling large packets.  No new command
codes or attributes required.

> I don't think the complexity of his approach is needed for solving the
> part of the problem I would like to see solved.

Don't know how much the following matters for your uses - some things to
think about.

Section 3.

With TCP any number of RADIUS requests could be in-flight before RADIUS
server even sees a request to react.  When a connection is dropped client
can't always even be sure what request if any closure was in response let
alone why.

long should client think bigger-packets is not supported by server?  next
connection? forever?

RFC6613 allows implementation to close TCP connection in response to
unknown code.  This "MAY" cause a client not supporting bigger-packets to
disconnect on receipt of the "too big" code.  This unfortunately is a good
example why I don't support this language in RFC6613.

2. "Clients MAY silently discard a packet greater than some
    configured size"

How does this work?  For example I'm authenticating someone and
Access-Accept is too big.  Do I assume access-reject?  Keep waiting for
the response that is not too big?

regards,
Peter