Re: Genart review of draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-server-mib-05 / draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-client-mib-05

stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be Thu, 08 June 2006 10:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:17:08 +0200
From: stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be
To: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Genart review of draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-server-mib-05 / draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-client-mib-05

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the review, see below for some answers

Ron Bonica wrote:

> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for:
> draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-server-mib-05
>           -and-
> draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-client-mib-05
>

> For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html.
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
> you may receive.
>
> This draft is ready for publication as a Standards Track document,
> except for the following nit:

In fact, the 2 documents are informational.

> - The client MIB contains a note to the RFC editor about the reference
> [DYNSERV]. However, there is no such reference.

I checked it and the client MIB is Ok, in the server MIB it seems that
the RFC ed note is incorrect and [DYNSERV] should be replaced by
[DYNCLNT]. The references in both of the drafts are correct, with the
exception of the RFC ed note in the server MIB.

> And two substantial questions:
>
> - Can I assume that it has passed MIB Rx Review? (It compiles clean).

Not sure what MIB Rx review is. I compliled the MIB with Smilent.

> - Should this MIB *ever* be used in conjuntion with SNMPv1? I know that
> you *recommend* against it. But it seems that divulging the information
> in this mib to a hostile party might be pretty bad.

http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html contains preformatted text for
the security section and that text was put in the draft. See the text on
that webpage in the section "-- else if there are no read-write objects
in your MIB module". The text in the draft is more or less a copy/paste
from that webpage. Also the other Radius MIBs like
draft-ietf-radext-rfc2618bis-03.txt are also following the guidelines on
the mentioned webpage.

regards,
Stefaan