Progress on RADIUS Extension for Digest Authentication

Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> Thu, 18 November 2004 18:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:15:41 -0800
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Progress on RADIUS Extension for Digest Authentication

The specification "RADIUS Extension for Digest Authentication" has
completed RADEXT WG Last call.  Issues filed against the specification are
available here:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/RADEXT/

The latest version of the specification is available here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sterman-aaa-sip-04.txt

Further progress on this document requires that we verify that changes
made in the -04 document represent RADEXT WG consensus.
Since detailed text changes were not posted to the RADEXT WG mailing
list prior to the submission of the -04 document, it is not possible to
determine whether RADEXT WG consensus exists on the changes based on
examination of the mailing list discussion.  It is therefore not possible
to move forward on this document until this issue is cleared up.

In order to make progress, we have made a request that Issue submitters
and other WG participants examine the changes in -04 and send email to
the WG list, stating whether the changes are acceptable.  So far, the
mail received indicates the following:

Issue 4: No mail received. WG consensus not verified.
Issue 5: No mail received, Diameter draft needs to be updated before
         determining whether the resolutions can work. WG consensus
         not verified.
Issue 6: No mail received. WG consensus not verified.
Issue 7: Mail received, indicates WG consensus *against* the proposed
         resolution. No consensus verified.
Issue 8: No mail received, security issues raised at IETF 60. No
         consensus verified.
Issue 11: No mail received. No consensus verified.
Issue 12: No mail received. No censensus verified.

Given the lack of confirming email, we are at present unable to confirm
whether the changes made in -04 represent WG consensus, and in one case
(Issue 7) it appears that the proposed resolution has been rejected by the
RADEXT WG.

In order to enable the WG to demonstrate sufficient interest, we are going
to extend the Request for Comment on the proposed resolutions until
December 6, 2004.   If you have submitted an Issue on the document, and
believe it has been resolved, please send mail with "Issue X: Resolved" in
the subject line, where X is the Issue number of your issue.

If you have additional comments on the specification, or wish to contest
the resolution of an issue, please send email to the RADEXT WG mailing
list (radiusext@ops.ietf.org) in the format described on the RADEXT WG
mailing list:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/RADEXT/