[radext] #77: Section 2

"radext issue tracker" <trac+radext@zinfandel.tools.ietf.org> Mon, 28 February 2011 03:12 UTC

From: radext issue tracker <trac+radext@zinfandel.tools.ietf.org>
Cc: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
To: wdec@cisco.com, bernard_aboba@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:10:46 -0000
Subject: [radext] #77: Section 2
Sender: owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org

#77: Section 2

 "Multi-homing" is a layer 3 concept, so "multihomed at layer 2" doesn't
 parse.  RADIUS is an acronym so it is capitalized.  Recommend that this
 section be rewritten as follows:

 2.  Deployment Scenarios

    A common broadband network scenario is illustrated in Figure 1.  It
    is composed of a IP Routing Residential Gateway (RG) or host, a Layer
    2 Access-Node (e.g. a DSLAM), one or more IP Network Access Servers
    (NASes), and an AAA server.  The RG or host are expected to be multi
    homed to both NASes.  Layer 2 Connectivity between the
    host and NAS can be either via PPPoE or IP over Ethernet, and
    established dynamically.

                                                    +-----+
                                    (RADIUS server) | AAA |
                                        ...........>|     |
                                        .           +--+--+
                                        v              ^
                                    +---+---+          .
                                    |  NAS  |          .(RADIUS server)
                                    |       |          .
                                    +---+---+          v
                     +------+           |          +---+---+
      +------+       |  AN  |           |          |  NAS  |
      |  RG/ +-------|      +-----------+----------+       |
      | host |       |      |                      |       |
      +------+ (DSL) +------+      (Ethernet)      +-------+

                               Figure 1

    In this scenario the NASes may embed a DHCPv6 server to handle
    DHCPv6 requests issued by RGs/hosts, as well as acting as a
    router providing Router Advertisements.  The RADIUS server
    authenticates each RG/host and returns to the NAS attributes
    used for authorization and accounting.  These attributes
    can include a host IPv6 address to be configured via DHCPv6;
    the IPv6 address of a DNS server to configured via DHCPv6 or
    router advertisement; the name of a prefix pool to be used
    for DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation; or IPv6 routes to be announced
    to the host.

    The following sub-sections discuss how these uses in more
    detail.

--
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |       Owner:  wdec@…

 "Multi-homing" is a layer 3 concept, so "multihomed at layer 2" doesn't
 parse.  RADIUS is an acronym so it is capitalized.  Recommend that this
 section be rewritten as follows:

 2.  Deployment Scenarios

    A common broadband network scenario is illustrated in Figure 1.  It
    is composed of a IP Routing Residential Gateway (RG) or host, a Layer
    2 Access-Node (e.g. a DSLAM), one or more IP Network Access Servers
    (NASes), and an AAA server.  The RG or host are expected to be multi
    homed to both NASes.  Layer 2 Connectivity between the
    host and NAS can be either via PPPoE or IP over Ethernet, and
    established dynamically.

                                                    +-----+
                                    (RADIUS server) | AAA |
                                        v              ^