Re: [eap] Re-review of draft-ietf-hokey-erx-13.txt

<Bernard_Aboba@hotmail.com> Wed, 12 March 2008 21:43 UTC

From: Bernard_Aboba@hotmail.com
To: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, "Dondeti, Lakshminath" <ldondeti@qualcomm.com>, clancy@ltsnet.net, "Tim.Polk@nist.gov" <tim.polk@nist.gov>, Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, pasi.eronen@nokia.com
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, 'eap-WG' <eap@frascone.com>, radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [eap] Re-review of draft-ietf-hokey-erx-13.txt
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:36:32 -0700
Sender: owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org

> Note that since the DSRK is only handed out as part of an EAP or
> ERP exchange in which the peer is involved, there is no question of a
> random local ER server receiving a DSRK and generating bogus accounting
> records.

[BA] I'm going to post a message to the HOKEY WG list trying to provide
more detail so that we can discuss this whether there is a problem here,
and if so, why.

>The domain name is communicated in an authenticated ERP
> bootstrapping exchange to the peer, so that the peer and the home AAA
> server have the same idea about the domain.

[BA] Would the same security properties be provided in the EAP
bootstrapping case?

> This is a reference just saying that in cases like IEEE 802.1x, where
> the peer may send an EAPoL-Start message to start EAP, there is no need
> for the authenticator to wait to receive a response for ERP - when it
> receives the EAPoL-Start, it knows that the peer is interested in
> starting EAP.

[BA] Sure.  But given the current state of ERP compatibility with IEEE 802,
the reference is confusing.

> Also, ERP may be network initiated and so, while the
> peer-initiated mode does not work for 802.1x as written, the network
> initiated mode will work fine, as long as codes greater than 4 are
> allowed.

[BA] The problem is that IEEE 802.1X (2001, at least) doesn't support
that.

> We seem to have different directions on this - Jari seems to want to
> place MUSTs on lower layers, while you seem to not want that.

[BA] I'm just asking what "break the connection" means, especially
for a connectionless link layer.

>> [BA] Do you really mean that the authenticator is using the
>> realm to determine the IP address of the ER server?  Or is
>> the keyname-NAI field just copied into the User-Name
>> attribute so that routing happens normally?
>>

> The latter.

[BA] Can you clarify that in the document?

>> [BA] Since the local ER server does not determine whether it
>> is on the path how is "path pinning" to be achieved? How does
>> the AAA server know whether an ER server is on the path or not?
>> What does it do if it is not on the path?  In other words,
>> what does the MUST imply?
>>
> Deployments that wish to run ERP must place the local ER server in the
> path.  Those that do not cannot run this protocol in the local domain.
> So, there is no behavior to define when the server is not in the path.

[BA] If the MUST doesn't imply anything in terms of behavior, can we
drop it?

> This is part of the ERP exchange and hence, carried in a AAA attribute.
> The domain name is used to route the message just like any other regular
> AAA routed message.

[BA] The issue is that AAA routing is typically not implemented on the
authenticator, only in the AAA infrastructure.   Is ERX requiring that the
authenticator implement a realm routing table?

>> [BA] Which "original NAI" are we talking about?  The NAI used
>> in the EAP-Response/Identity in the original EAP
>> conversation?  The NAI in the Peer-Id?  The NAI in the ERX
>> conversation?
>>
> The first one.

[BA] Can you state that in the draft?

>> [BA] Transport of the MSK is already specified in existing
>> AAA documents, such as RFC 4072 (Diameter EAP).  Why is
>> reference 12 being given here rather than those existing
>> documents?  This document does not update those specifications.
>>
> Reference [12] is an example from the RADIUS side.  For Diameter, we do
> reuse RFC4072.  There still needs to be a document that describes
> encapsulation of ERP messages - that is what reference 15 does, for
> instance.

[BA] The problem is that reference [12] is not used by existing RADIUS/
EAP implementations, and the ERP document should not be updating
or obsoleting legacy EAP or RADIUS/EAP behavior.

>> [BA] I think you mean "ERX" not "EAP re-authentication" or
>> ERP, right?
>> One thing that is left out here is authentication between the
>> ERX local server and the ERX home server.  This exists if
>> they are one hop apart, but otherwise not.  So I think there
>> is an assumption that the ERX server is only willing to
>> provide keys to domains that it is explicitly authorized to
>> deal with.
>
> The authorization text that I pointed out earlier covers this.

[BA] OK.  I'll take a look at this.

> I thought that the intent was clear, but, if you prefer this wording, we
> can change it as you suggest.

[BA] I prefer the suggested text since RADIUS application layer security is
also being considered.

>> [BA] The rest of the spec does not talk about use of the
>> Peer-Id.  Since not all EAP method deriving keys have a
>> Peer-Id, do you really want this mentioned here?
>>
> The peer-id is a remnant that should be deleted.  We will delete that in
> the next revision.

[BA] Great.

> This is a note to lower layers and is obviously not binding.  It is
> ultimately the lower layer that will define the authorization state.

[BA] You might say that in the document.