Re: [radext] Client ID exhaustion

Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com> Wed, 26 April 2017 12:55 UTC

From: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 08:55:05 -0400
Cc: radext@ietf.org
To: Winter Stefan <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
Subject: Re: [radext] Client ID exhaustion

On Apr 26, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu> wrote:
> It's fairly clear that implementations which do not follow the MAY will
> run into exhaustion problems rather soon.

  I think implementations which don't open new source ports are few and far between.  They are typically simple and small.

> It's less clear that implementations which do follow this MAY still do.
> We've heard finger-in-the-air calculations on the list that this may
> become a problem earlier than one might think. But is there actual
> evidence to that end in deployed reality?

  All RADIUS servers open new ports.  All NAS equipment that costs more than $20 opens new ports.

> Can someone please share their experience regarding a deployment and
> implementation which DOES implement the MAY above but STILL runs out of
> RADIUS packet IDs?

  I've never seen one.

  The issue for me is really TCP, and accounting.  It would be useful to be able to send many accounting packets to a server.  It would be useful to "fill" a TCP connection with RADIUS traffic.  The 256 packet limit makes that impossible.

  Whether or not this proposal gets approval, I think it's useful.  If nothing else, I will likely add it as a configurable (not negotiable) extension to my implementation.

  Alan DeKok.