[RAM] PASH: Another SHIM6 proxying draft, in addition to pshim6

Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com> Thu, 01 March 2007 07:00 UTC

From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:00:17 +0200
To: ram@iab.org
Subject: [RAM] PASH: Another SHIM6 proxying draft, in addition to pshim6

Another new draft, http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nikander-
ram-pash-00.txt , outlines how to proxy SHIM6 in a slightly different
way than PSHIM6; it also discusses HIP proxying.  It is not as
detailed as PSHIM6; instead it tries to show that it is indeed
possible to use SHIM6 (and HIP) in a LISP-like way.  However, it is
important to remember that SHIM6 and especially HIP provide much more
than LISP does; see e.g. Markus Stenberg's recent message.

 From a deployment point of view the biggest difference between
PSHIM6 and PASH seems to be that PASH outlines scenarios that require
less machinery between the legacy hosts and the network than PSHIM6
does; PSHIM6 also includes some discussion about that in Section 7.
The generix draft [1] tries to generalise the different approaches,
but unfortunately as of today it may be still too scanty to be really
comprehensible, at least if the reader is not willing to think hard.
However, I hope that the PASH (and PSHIM6) help to digest the generix
message.

The more architectural message here is that there indeed seems to be
pretty independent dimensions of where to implement id/loc split:
where to implement it vertically (in the stack), and where to
implement it horizontally (in the host/network).  A third (though not
independent) dimension is the nature and routability/resolvability of
identifiers, along the lines of LISP 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 deployment
scenarios.

--Pekka Nikander

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nikander-ram-generix-
proxying-00.txt