Re: [RAM] Crisper Terminology

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> Sat, 09 June 2007 06:42 UTC

DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=QZRDXwVLWfVdixZr8MhcCac928E0dFWc5GBV6tlRs0LxLU4FFlAtv6tm1sYeeNcWLkIGjtnDRM/ogOQgNQby3Q9Gk08VaV6bLDGfH+mdcE1S0ZTUkHF5Fk9wZ3TC+OPxaeXvsX584majkUO7fmc6firecjSjaLwgWfnlZ4xbeVg=
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 08:42:22 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
To: RJ Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] Crisper Terminology
Cc: ram@iab.org

On 2007-06-08 19:25, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> There is a perfectly good a name for objects with both identification
> and location semantics.  This community generally calls them addresses.

I'd be tempted to agree with that, but I just had occasion to
review draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-addressing-07.txt, and found my head
spinning rapidly on exactly this question.

> For example, the existing TCP implementations use an IP address
> as the endpoint name for TCP purposes.

Well, if we use OSI formalism, we'd have to say that the transport
address is the network address concatenated with the port number.
There was a fairly clear model for layered endpoint addressing in
OSI, and it still a valid thinking aid IMHO.

     Brian