[Raw] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-raw-ldacs-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 19 April 2022 08:41 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-raw-ldacs@ietf.org, raw-chairs@ietf.org, raw@ietf.org, pthubert@cisco.com, pthubert@cisco.com, cjbc@it.uc3m.es
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:41:37 -0700
Subject: [Raw] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-raw-ldacs-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-raw-ldacs-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-raw-ldacs/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is also important for the
IETF to welcome new work. The content is really interesting to read (especially
for a private pilot!); albeit, it appears more like a roadmap / plan to use
IETF protocols for aviation rather than being focused only on LDACS.

Please find below some blocking DISCUSS points, some non-blocking COMMENT
points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for my own education),
and some nits.

I also support Alvaro Retana's DISCUSS on using the right publication stream,
which should have been ISE in this case as often done for documents describing
specifications done outside the IETF. I notice that this document as an
"unknown" status for the consensus boilerplate and setting it to "No" (if
possible) would probably address Alvaro's concern.

Special thanks to:

- Pascal Thubert for the shepherd's write-up including the WG consensus and the
intended status.

- Carlos Bernardos for his INT directorate review at
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/int-dir/oRK9fXWx48Xj6VhdJMMarEPFB3c/
which also raises the same issue as Alvaro but also has other points deserving
a reply

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

As noted in https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/, a
DISCUSS ballot is a request to have a discussion on the following topics:

## Section 4

Raising a DISCUSS just to get a discussion with authors, RAW WG, ICAO
representatives, and the community:
  "There is currently no "IPv6 over LDACS" specification
   publicly available; however, SESAR2020 has started the testing of
   IPv6-based LDACS testbeds."
Is the plan to have this "IPv6 over LDACS" be specified in an IETF WG (e.g.,
intarea) ? Or will ICAO work alone on this specification (and perhaps not using
the experience of the IETF community)?

## Section 5.2.1

Let me share Carlos' point, which I second (it would be enough to state the
intention about MIPv6 to address it):

- "Technically the FCI multilink concept will be realized by multi-homed mobile
IPv6 networks in the aircraft." --> how is Mobile IPv6 going to be used and
which specific protocol of the Mobile IPv6 family? just MIPv6 and/or PMIPv6?
implications on mobility and RAW are unclear at this point (probably this is
for the RAW WG to evaluate, but just wanted to point it out).

COMMENT:

# COMMENTS

## Section 1

As Erik Kline, please use RFC 8200 as a reference to IPv6.

The last two paragraphs are more a liaison statement of the ICAO than an
integral part of an IETF stream document.

## Section 2

It is not really a terminology section but rather an acronym list. I.e.,
suggest renaming this section ?

## Section 5.2.5

Some explanations on how positioning can be done in the absence of GNSS would
be welcome.

## Section 8.2

Suggest to also add the well-known SNMP & NETCONF as the acronyms are more
often known than their expansions.

## Section 9.2

Should the section title include the word "security" ?

## Section 9.3

"Currently" won't age well ;-) Suggest to write "Work in 2022 includes..."

## Section 9.5.2

What is "ICAO unique address of an aircraft" ? Is it a layer-2 address ?

# NITS

## Section 1
s/area of the world, that suffers/area of the world that suffers/ ?
s/east- and west- cost of the US/East and West Coast of the USA/ ?

and many other typos... Strongly suggest using a tool to improve the grammar /
spelling