RE: [rddp] DDP/RDMAP Applicability

"Caitlin Bestler" <caitlinb@broadcom.com> Thu, 20 April 2006 16:19 UTC

Subject: RE: [rddp] DDP/RDMAP Applicability
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:19:36 -0700
From: Caitlin Bestler <caitlinb@broadcom.com>
To: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>, secdir-secretary@MIT.EDU
Cc: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@MIT.EDU>, Pat Cain <pcain@acmehacking.com>, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, rddp@ietf.org

Derek Atkins wrote:
> I was asked to review the DDP/RDMAP specifications.  Here are
> my comments on draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-05.txt

Typos noted and fixed. Thanks.

> ----
> ----
>
> Section 6.6 : Data Integrity Implications
>
> CRC32 helps protect against accidental data corruption, but
> not intensional data corruption.  An attacker could easily
> intentionally corrupt the data and a CRC32 cannot detect
> that.  I recommend some stronger wording that an active
> attacker could easily subvert the CRC32, or at least
> additional text that explains that CRC32 only protects
> against accidental data corruption and not intensional data
> corruption.

Clarification on the types of corruption will be added.

> ----
>
> Section 9 : Security considerations
>
> The discussion of the steering tag doesn't discuss what
> information is exposed, or how guessable these tags could be.
>  What's the implication of a "peer" guessing at random STags?
>  Could I get data that I shouldn't have access to?  Are these
> STags tied to a particular peer session, and if so how?

A paragraph will be added to emphasize that STags must be
validated for use on a connection. Therefore there is a set
of advertised buffers that a peer can access, and those
are the *only* buffers that the peer can use. There is
no "guessing" involved.

However there is no way for the RDMA layer to know that
the peer has not *confused* which of the buffers it is
authorized to use and has specified the wrong one.

> --
>
> There's no discussion of peer authentication.  How do I know
> who I'm talking to and how do I authenticate and authorize
> their RDMA access?
>
> ----
>
> Section 9.2 : Tagged Buffer Exposure
>
> This section does not go into enough detail of what can
> happen if an attacker can insert random (or worse, non
> random!) data into arbitrary buffers.  We've got so many
> buffer overrun attacks.  Imagine what could happen if an
> attacker didn't need to overrun a buffer but could co-opt the
> RDMA and insert arbitrary data into buffers directly.

Language will be added emphasizing that random data placed
into advertised buffers must be handled by the ULP, just
as sending arbitrary data over a non-RDMA connection must
be detected and handled up the ULP.