Re: [regext] [Ext] Re: Redacting JSContact uid in RDAP - Updated

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Tue, 04 April 2023 10:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 12:44:17 +0200
To: Gustavo Lozano Ibarra <gustavo.lozano@icann.org>, Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] [Ext] Re: Redacting JSContact uid in RDAP - Updated

Hi Gustavo,

thanks for you comment.

For the sake of limiting the implications of rdap-jscontact on
rdap-redacted, just checked on some web sites providing UUID generators
that "nil UUID" and "empty UUID" are synonyms.

Since rdap-redacted defines "redaction by Empty Value" (rather than
empty string), wonder if we could consider the setting of the uid
property to an Empty/nill UUID (i.e.
"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000") as an usage of such a method.

As a result, the same redaction method could be used to redact uid
values in both free-text and UUID formats.

Another possible solution is to define in rdap-redacted a registry
including the redaction methods.

New redaction method names like those suggested by Gustavo could be
defined by future documents (rdap-jscontact primarily) that can't find a
match among the methods listed in rdap-redacted.

Thoughts?

Best,

Mario