Re: [regext] RDAP Extensions Approach Analysis v2

Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net> Fri, 01 July 2022 16:24 UTC

From: Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>
To: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
CC: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:24:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.136.136.37]
Subject: Re: [regext] RDAP Extensions Approach Analysis v2

Hello Andy,

On 7/1/22, 8:29 AM, "Andrew Newton" <andy@hxr.us> wrote:

    This is very impressive work, Jasdip. I've been trying to follow this
    conversation, and this doc is very helpful.

Thanks. :) Glad it is helpful.

    I note that in the analysis there are references to "put the new
    extension value in the help" (or something). What does this mean?

IIUC what you are referring to is in aspect #5 (Server-side signaling of the next iteration of an extension) of the analysis [1]: "Add the new value of the rdapConformance in the help response and related responses". What I simply meant here is how an extension identifier registered with IANA shows up in RDAP responses -- in the rdapConformance string array in the "help" and other (e.g. "domain/<domain name>") responses -- as a server-capability signal.

    First, /help is a query unto itself. Second, putting additional
    information in a "notice" without proper guidance of what to actually
    do may be kicking the ambiguity-can down the road. Is it part of the
    title for the notice? Is there a textual description, and if so how
    does that work with I18N issues? Does it go into a relative link
    structure?

    The aspect analysis section is interesting as it helps us to evaluate
    the trade-offs. In my opinion, interoperability is paramount otherwise
    we'll just be repeating this conversation again in a year. I view
    on-the-wire efficiency as the least-compelling objective for this
    protocol. And cost to clients should be given higher consideration
    than cost to servers given there are many more clients than servers.

    I believe this puts me in camp A even if it means we sacrifice some of
    the on-the-wire aesthetic.

This is where the analysis landed for me as well.

Jasdip

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e3QD8z01KpYRd5LwdLBWjHHDoFVAVEL8u7Y52zsDdx0/edit?usp=sharing