RE: [Widex] suggestions re timestamps

<Vlad.Stirbu@nokia.com> Mon, 03 April 2006 18:06 UTC

Subject: RE: [Widex] suggestions re timestamps
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:06:30 +0300
From: Vlad.Stirbu@nokia.com
To: dsr@w3.org, widex@ietf.org

Dave,

I agree with your proposal to define the timestamp as "non-negative
integer denoting the number of milliseconds from the current reference
point". This can be considered as good baseline for processing time
stamps which probably suits most environments.

Looking at how REX is defining the meaning of the timestamp (e.g. "an
integer in milliseconds relative to the epoch") I noticed that the
format is the same (e.g. an integer) and only the processing model is
different. The difference between the Widex proposal and the REX model
is that Widex has relative reference point while REX has absolute
reference point (e.g. 00:00:00 UTC 1st January 1970).

There are good reasons for using relative and absolute reference points
depending on the deploying environment. In order to better accommodate
these environments, the Widex framework can make use of the Service
Discovey component to enable the Widex Renderer and the Widex Server to
negociate and agree on a common processing model for the timestamp.
Thus, we can consider that the relative reference point is the default
processing model for timestamps but more demanding environments (e.g.
MORE - where streaming is involved) can use the absolute reference point
as defined by REX.

In addition, by negociating the processing model for the timestamp
during service discovery step, we allow particular environments to
deploy their own processing models, which could be undefined at this
time, without affecting the core Widex framework.

Vlad