Re: [renum] FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-6renum-gap-analysis-02.txt

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Sat, 12 November 2011 00:33 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "Leo Liu(bing)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>, "renum@ietf.org" <renum@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:33:04 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [renum] FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-6renum-gap-analysis-02.txt

<WG Chair hat off>

sect 2 session survivability - This discussion is pretty weak right now. While it is a benefit to be able to use make-before-break numbering as described, that's not session survivability. All it allows for is for new sessions to use the new address. It does not necessarily fix sessions that go idle and attempt to resume where they've left off, and it definitely doesn't cover sessions that remain active.
Inherent to the behavior of most TCP and UDP sessions is the expectation that while the session is active, a change in the IP address will result in a session reset. In a planned renumbering event, this may be acceptable in some cases (done during a maintenance window, etc). But since we are endeavoring to minimize the impacts of renumbering in order to make it more palatable, I think it's worth discussing real session survivability in the context of our gap analysis. Therefore we need to note a couple of items/gaps:
- client/server relationships are often built on an assumption that the client's IP address will not change for the duration of a session, and if it does, it's a different session (eg log into a website, and if your IP changes, you must re-authenticate) - this may already be a faulty assumption given SLAAC/Privacy Addresses, because addresses do often change, and in a post-CGN world, tying addresses to a given session is probably going to create difficulties as well, but it's worth noting here.
- no current mechanism exists to signal to the remote side of an active session that the local side's IP address is changing (in effect, "please send subsequent packets to this new address, retaining the current src/dst port and sequence numbers") - a change of address notification
        - this may have value in the mobility space as a way to manage session continuity even during network to network handoffs without the need for map-and-encap methods, so it's probably something that should be pursued anyway. While using hostnames to abstract host from IP will help for incoming connections, existing sessions would be able to bypass the impact on the DNS infrastructure driven by the need for near-real-time changes to the FQDN-IP mapping if there is a method to manage in-flight changes directly, and allow DNS changes to be made with slightly longer turnaround times instead of near-realtime.
        - this would likely give stateful security devices fits unless they are designed to watch for these messages and update their state accordingly