Re: [renum] Adoption call for draft-liu-6renum-gap-analysis-03

"Eleven Fu(Yu)" <eleven.fuyu@huawei.com> Tue, 10 January 2012 02:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:36:45 +0000
From: "Eleven Fu(Yu)" <eleven.fuyu@huawei.com>
To: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>, "renum@ietf.org" <renum@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [renum] Adoption call for draft-liu-6renum-gap-analysis-03

Hi  all,

I support this draft to be adopt as WG document. This draft  describes all aspects of a renumbering event process, eg prefix management, node address reconfiguration, update relevant  address entries etc. It is useful for operators to avoid issues in the process of the renumbering event. However, I have some comments below:

1  Introduction
>>This document intends to identify the valuable and solvable issues, dig out of some undiscovered gaps, and tries to give solution suggestions.

dig out > digs out

2. Overall Requirements for Renumbering
>>This section introduces the overall ultimate goals we want to achieve  in a renumbering event. In general, we need to leverage renumbering automation to avoid human intervention as much as possible at   reasonable cost.

I think another important goals is how to make the renumbering process smoother.

3.2. Management Tools
>>Following are samples of the tools.
>> Address management tools.
>> Asset management tools/systems.
Maybe list the links of this tools is more helpful.

4. Managing Prefixes
>>When renumbering an enterprise site, a short prefix may be divided  into longer prefixes for subnets

Could you please describe this scenario in more details? May be a diagram could be more helpful for readers understanding. Exactly,  I think “a short length prefix may be divided into longer length prefixes for subnets” is more accurate.

5.1. Host Address Configuration
   -  SLAAC-configured hosts finding DHCPv6 in use
>>  [RFC5887] mentioned RA message of ND protocol contains a  "Managed Configuration" flag to indicate DHCPv6 is in use.
to indicate DHCPv6 is in use > to indicate whether DHCPv6 is in use

>>The host may start a DHCPv6 session and receives the DHCPv6 address configuration.
receives > receive

>>Another possibility is that the host may receive no response from any DHCPv6 servers, which means the DHCPv6 service is not available and the "Managed Configuration" flag was mis-configured.
      was > is

Regards
Yu