[rfc-i] New proposal for "canonical and others"

jmh at joelhalpern.com (Joel M. Halpern) Sun, 17 June 2012 14:27 UTC

From: "jmh at joelhalpern.com"
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:27:47 -0400
Subject: [rfc-i] New proposal for "canonical and others"

My understanding of the canonical format issue is that it can not be
addressed by an abstraction.
Assuming that there are multiple formats (this seems unfortunate but
inevitable,) then even if they are generated by tooling there will be
times when they differ.  Based on experience in other contexts when that
happens, it is very helpful if there is a well define "right answer"
even before folks get around to fixing the problem.  Defining one form
of the document (and similarly one representation of the information
within the document when one uses tables, code, and text to describe the
same thing) as canonical provides this coverage.

Yours,
Joel