[rfc-i] Section 2.45 - Request deletion of iprExtract attribute

julian.reschke at gmx.de (Julian Reschke) Tue, 11 November 2014 01:36 UTC

From: "julian.reschke at gmx.de"
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 02:36:51 +0100
Subject: [rfc-i] Section 2.45 - Request deletion of iprExtract attribute

On 2014-11-10 19:59, Jim Schaad wrote:
> This attribute exists strictly for historic versions of the boilerplate.  Unless there is going to be some initiative to go back and re-encode old documents using the new vocabulary, I do not understand why this attribute is needed at the present time and therefore think it should be removed.

In general we deprecate things we want to get rid of later on.

> If it is not removed, then it needs more specification.   It says that it identifies one section in the document, but it does not say how that section is to be identified.  Is this by "Section 2.3", "2.3" or "iprExtractAnchor"?

I note that for some reason v2 and v3 have different descriptions of it.
v2 says in
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-xml2rfc-latest.html#element.rfc.attribute.iprExtract>:

"Identifies a single section within the document (by its 'anchor'
attribute) for which extraction "as-is" is explicitly allowed (this is
only relevant for historic values of the "ipr" attribute)."

Best regards, Julian