[rfc-i] Branding

duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp ( "Martin J. Dürst" ) Mon, 06 August 2012 01:32 UTC

From: "duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp"
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:32:04 +0900
Subject: [rfc-i] Branding

On 2012/08/04 23:52, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> How about a different color for Proposed and Standard?
>
> That might encourage more people to work on promotion...
>
> Also Informational and experimental could be visually distinct.
>
> I am thinking they should all have icons in the masthead. Experimental
> would have a test tube, retort, flasky chemistry set up. Only proposed
> and standard would have the IETF logo (proposed would have a question
> mark).
>
> Informational would be tricky.

I'm afraid that a chemistry look would give the impression that we are
getting in the chemistry standard business :-). Also, we might want to
keep fancy imagery to a minimum, the same way as for the documents
themselves. The main advantage of a more flexible format is that the
classification labels can be much bigger. See e.g. examples at W3C.

The W3C also has a bit of experience with using different colors,
compare e.g.:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/single-page.html and
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/

But the distinction is quite rough, it's just between official
publications (including working drafts), which are blue, and inofficial
versions (editor's copies,...), which are red.

The tools html version of drafts and rfcs uses about 10 colors, you can
see them when clicking on the thin color stripe at the very top of the
document e.g. at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-07.

There is also an example of IETF branding with the IETF logo:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xmldsig-core-20020212/
That was mostly the direction I was thinking in (of course without the
W3C logo except for joint work).

Regards,    Martin.