[rfc-i] using markdown for XML2RFC v3 I-Ds

miek at miek.nl (Miek Gieben) Tue, 02 December 2014 22:26 UTC

From: "miek at miek.nl"
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 22:26:23 +0000
Subject: [rfc-i] using markdown for XML2RFC v3 I-Ds

Hello,

I'm pondering a markdown syntax (mostly like CommonMark, but with a set of
extensions) for use when writing I-Ds for the XML2RFC v3 format. It steals
syntax from CommonMark, kramdown, leanpub and Asciidoc.

To play with it I've forked[1] blackfriday (a markdown converter written in
Golang), and implemented the following:

* TOML titleblock
* including other markdown files with the syntax: {{file}}
* indices with the syntax: (((Item, Subitem)))
* main-, middle- and backmatter document divisions, syntax: {mainmatter}, etc.
* citations, syntax: [@RFC223]
* reference section automatically created
* abstract, prefix paragraph with 'AB>'
* asides, prefix paragraph with 'A>'
* IAL, inline attribute lists from kramdown

It is a work-in-progress and the converter even still outputs some LaTeX blurbs.

A short example document can be found here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/miekg/blackfriday/master/ietf/ietf-markdown.md

Feedback welcome.

/Miek

[1]: https://github.com/miekg/blackfriday