rse at rfc-editor.org (Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)) Tue, 01 July 2014 15:35 UTC

From: "rse at rfc-editor.org"
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 08:35:40 -0700
Subject: [rfc-i] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-flanagan-plaintext-00.txt

On 7/1/14, 6:09 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 6/20/2014 4:11 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> With the changes to the format for RFCs on the horizon, I've drafted a
>> short document to describe the changes in the plain text output.  Of
>> course, the requirements described are not final until the community has
>> discussed the proposal.
>
> Heather,
>
> Would you please clarify?
>
> A number of folk have posted notes implicitly or explicitly declaring
> that the requirements have been set and that we should not be suggesting
> changes.

At a high level, we have the following established and not open for
further discussion at this time:

0. The current canonical format will change.
1. XML will be the canonical format
2. We will have HTML, PDF, and plain text as outputs; EPUB will be added
to the list as time and resources permit.
3. Non-ASCII characters will be allowed in a controlled fashion.
4. SVG artwork will be allowed with a restricted profile.

Within the various drafts [1] created by the RFC Format Design Team,
where we are getting into the details, I think we are still open to
discussion IF AND ONLY IF someone is offering information that has not
already been discussed.   People should check the list archives if they
are not certain whether a particular point has been discussed.  If we
have a new, valid use case, then yes, the content may still be modified.

[1] A current list of drafts produced by the design team:

o Reschke, J., "The 'XML2RFC' version 2 Vocabulary", Work in Progress,
draft-reschke-xml2rfc-09, June 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-reschke-xml2rfc/>
o Hoffman, P., "The 'XML2RFC' version 3 Vocabulary", Work in Progress,
draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-08, May 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-xml2rfc/>
o Hildebrand, J. and H. Flanagan, ed., "HyperText Markup Language
Request For Comments Format", Work in Progress,
draft-hildebrand-html-rfc-04, June 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hildebrand-html-rfc/>
o Brownlee, N., "SVG Drawings for RFCs: SVG 1.2 RFC", Work in Progress,
draft-brownlee-svg-rfc-06, June 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-brownlee-svg-rfc/>
o Hansen, T., "PDF for an RFC Series Output Document Format", Work in
Progress, draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf-00, June 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf/>
o Flanagan, H., "Requirements for Plain Text RFCs", Work in Progress,
draft-flanagan-plaintext-00, June 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flanagan-plaintext/>
o Flanagan, H. "The Use of Non-ASCII Characters in RFCs", Work in
Progress, draft-flanagan-nonascii-01, April 2014.
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flanagan-nonascii/>

Does that help?
-Heather