[rfc-i] xref extensions

ietf at augustcellars.com (Jim Schaad) Thu, 06 November 2014 11:37 UTC

From: "ietf at augustcellars.com"
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 03:37:40 -0800
Subject: [rfc-i] xref extensions

After reading this, I guess I am going to post my latest wish list item.

I would like to propose the following addition to the v3 vocabulary.

1) define a new element <anchorSet> to be a child of reference.  The element
is for grouping and has no attributes.
2) define a new element <anchorPoint> to be a child of <anchorSet>.
Multiple elements can occur here.
    It has the following attributes:
	anchorName - the name of the anchor begin exposed in the referenced
document
	partNumber - the partNumber of the anchor being exposed in the
referenced document
	text - what is generated for the "default" format of xref for the
anchor being exposed
    An xml2rfc processor that generates reference.xml output would generate
these as part generated reference item.

3) augment xref by adding a new attribute that allows one to say <xref
target="RFC99" anchorName="foo"/>.

The above would allow one to use the anchor points defined in one document
in a second document.  This would be especially useful when one is writing
sets of documents that are going to make references back and forth between
them.  Doing so would require that xml2rfc be run twice, the first time to
generate the reference.xml document and then the actual document to be
created (txt, xml, html, ebook).

Jim

Of