[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-use-of-pdf-01, "C.3 PDF Generation Libraries"

tony at att.com (HANSEN, TONY L) Thu, 10 March 2016 19:28 UTC

From: "tony at att.com"
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:28:34 +0000
Subject: [rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-use-of-pdf-01, "C.3 PDF Generation Libraries"

When the plan was to keep these I-Ds as living I-Ds and not publishing them as RFCs, having this section made perfect sense. Perhaps that makes less sense now.

A related question that came up between Larry and I is whether there should be a Tooling Requirements section in section 3?

Alternative, it might be that there should be a section in one of the core documents that talks about tooling.

The comments on this appendix really revolve on how those requirements could be met, but (unless I've forgotten a place) I'm not sure that they've been stated somewhere.

I see these primary tooling requirements:

    1) RFC Production Center generation of finalized XML files and subsequent officially-blessed formatted files.
    2) Internet Draft generation through the web site, which currently uses command line tools on linux.
    3) Command line tools available on linux, windows and mac to generate at least internet-drafts.
    4) A GUI version available on linux, windows and mac to generate at least internet-drafts.

- Tony