Re: [rmcat] Review of rmcat-cc-codec-interactions

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Wed, 24 February 2016 11:31 UTC

To: "Michael Ramalho (mramalho)" <mramalho@cisco.com>, "rmcat@ietf.org" <rmcat@ietf.org>, Mo Zanaty <mzanaty@cisco.com>
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 12:31:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [rmcat] Review of rmcat-cc-codec-interactions

Hi Mo, hi Michael,

two comments as individual:

Reading this text part now, I don't think we need to negotiate the startup
ramp. Actually I'm not even sure what the term 'ramp' is supposed to mean
here. I believe we need is to indicate the maximum initial sending rate from
the cc to the codec. If the codec then delivers data with a lower rate that
should not be a problem for the cc. And the initial (max) sending can solely
be chosen by the cc, as it might either use a default value or some cached
info from previous transmission to the same receiver (over the same access
network).

Further, I agree that it is good to add one sentence that this rate has to be
chosen carefully (and a different value than a conservative default can only
be used if further information about or from the network is available). But I
don't really understand what exactly you want say with the two sentences that
you have added below...?

Mirja