Re: [Rmt] Last Call: draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-rs (Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes) to Experimental RFC

Igor Slepchin <igor@roundbox.com> Sat, 27 October 2007 19:39 UTC

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:39:21 -0400
From: Igor Slepchin <igor@roundbox.com>
To: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr>
Subject: Re: [Rmt] Last Call: draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-rs (Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes) to Experimental RFC
Cc: sami.peltotalo@tut.fi, jerome.lacan@ensica.fr, rmt@ietf.org

Vincent,

My apologies for a really late response and thanks for the detailed
analysis.

I largely agree with your conclusions and the current n-algorithm is
indeed operational. However, I still feel that it unnecessarily limits
how the server can choose n, however lightly, and, since it's not really
required for interop between the server and the client, I think it'd be
nice to change the use of n-algorithm for Reed-Solomon to RECOMMENDED
instead of the implied MUST. That is, the first paragraph in section 6.2
could be rephrased to something like the following:

"The following algorithm, also called "n-algorithm", explains how to
determine the actual number of encoding symbols for a given block. It is
RECOMMENDED that the algorithm be used by the server to determine n and
max_n; it MAY be used by the client to get an estimate of n. If the
client uses the n-algorithm, it MUST be prepared to handle symbols with
ESNs higher than the computed n, e.g. it can choose to simply drop them."

I guess the last sentence is not really necessary, it's what any robust
implementation will do regardless of the algorithm used.

Also, it'd be nice to mention more explicitly that the use of the block
partitioning algorithm is a MUST for FEC Encoding IDs 2 and 5 (it's
already stated as a MAY for 129) rather than implying this within
n-algorithm description.

Thank you,
Igor Slepchin

Vincent Roca wrote:
> Dear Igor,
>
>> I don't think the proposed change completely solves the problem, it only
>> lets us pass the sanity check.
>
> The proposed change _does correct the big mistake_ that you identified
> (thanks a lot!), i.e. the fact there was no room to produce parity symbols
> when following the indications given in section 6.1, which was a little bit
> annoying ;-)
>
>> As I briefly mentioned in my previous email, taking the two floors in
>> the n-algorithm will not produce the required number of repair symbols
>> in some situations.
>
> Let's analyze this point in detail:
>
> 1- It's perfectly normal that, because of rounding (be it with floor or ceil),
> the number of repair symbols produced differ from the target one, or said
> differently, that the actual code rate differ from the target one. We were
> aware of that since the beginning.
>
> 2- Is the current n-algorithm the best one, i.e. the one that guaranties
> the best match? We studied the question and the answer is NO. We can have
> a better match by using:
> 	max_n = ceil(B / rate)		// proposed change
> instead of:
> 	max_n = floor(B / rate)		// initial version
> A detailed analysis is provided below.
>
> The same remark applies to the LDPC I-D, section 5.4 too!
>

>> [...] However, since knowing the rate is not required for
>> decoding of Reed-Solomon codes, knowing the exact number of repair
>> symbols is not really required for decoding either. I understand that
>> having a reasonable estimate for that number may make memory management
>> on some implementations easier, but I don't think that knowing the
>> precise value is critical. For example, if the server sets max_n to
>> the maximum number of encoding symbols generated for any of the source
>> blocks, it gives the client a reasonable estimate for pre-allocating its
>> memory structures. The estimate may be off (on the plus side) by up to 2
>> encoding symbols for A_small source blocks, but that doesn't sound too
>> bad for me.
>
> You're right, with RS codes, knowing the exact n value of any source block
> is not mandatory, and a reasonable over-estimate can be sufficient. But:
>
> - knowing the actual "n" value at a receiver is rather simple;
>
> - we don't say that the receiver MUST calculate it, it's optional. If he
>   wants to reserve room for 255 symbols (if m==8), he can;
>
> - the same algorithm can be used in other FEC codes where knowing "n" is
>   mandatory (LDPC-staircase/triangle being one of them). A "cut-and-paste"
>   of this section is easy (and that's what we did).
>

> To summarize, we suggest:
>
> - to update the n-algorithm section with the above change (i.e. ceil instead
>   of floor in the max_n formula) in both the RS and LDPC I-Ds.
>
> - as a result, the number of repair symbols produced will better match the
>   target rate, with a different distribution (see the histograms below):

> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message and any attachments contain proprietary and privileged information of Roundbox, Inc., which are provided for the sole and confidential use of the intended recipients.  Any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this information is restricted and must comply with the nondisclosure agreement between Roundbox, Inc. and you (or your company).  All other uses are prohibited.  If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and promptly delete and otherwise destroy all copies of the message and its attachments.