RE: [Rmt] Should FLUTE File Aggregation I-D be a working group item?

Rod.Walsh@nokia.com Tue, 22 November 2005 09:43 UTC

From: Rod.Walsh@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Rmt] Should FLUTE File Aggregation I-D be a working group item?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:43:19 +0200
To: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, christoph.neumann@inrialpes.fr
Cc: vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr, rmt@ietf.org
Sender: rmt-bounces@ietf.org

Hi All

If you haven't read the document yet there are two things as play which
may be confused:
Group of files into:
- logical groups OR physically one transmission object
Extened-FLUTE-FDT signalling of files in physically aggregated objects:
- using FLUTE normally (e.g. TOI 0) OR embedding the aggregated files'
FDT in the object

Magnus, correct me if I misunderstood - you're talking about the second
issue. (i.e. you are questioning the placement of the file transport
data - but are happy with the files going into multipart MIME?)

Yes, unfortunately it will not be backwards compatible
>with the normal FDT, but it could have a number of benefit:

Well you could give the extended FDT a new MIME type and put it on
"other than TOI=0" and then it's backwards compatible. Also, you can
extend the FDT with "aggregated file" elements (instead of using the
"file" element and so you'd be able to change semantics for aggregated
files without gamaging "not-enhnaced" FLUTE receiveres. Is there
something I missed about backward compatability onthis?

>- The possibility to externally before receiving the object
>determine if all files already has been received or if some
>has. This is quite important to minimize the connection time
>when doing repeated transmission to repair/complete unfinished
>sessions.

This seems to confirm it's about where to signal the file details of
objects. Doing this as an "index FDT" in the multipart MIME assumes that
the kind of use case mentioned is not significant. i.e. that it's highly
unlikely that clients will have all the data of an object before it gets
sent, and it's highly unlikely that objects with different fileURIs but
the same files will get sent. If these are not good assumptions,
extending the FDT is indeed a better method: but not without cost as
bloated FDTs start to require their own FEC and reliability techniques
and (unlike embedding in the aggregated object) there is no garuntee
that all FDT instances will be received even though all files of an
aggregated object are.

So do we need to allow both methods, or is there a way to limit to just
one? (To me it seems both, but with advisory text as to when each is
better and some recommendations).

>- Possibility to extract data from an partially decoded block.
>With small files and large FEC blocks this becomes highly
>interesting. Thus the data offset and length needs to be
>available from external source.
>Special data integrity mechanisms to make this reliable may
>also need to be considered.

There are two partically reveived deocding aspects:
 - partially received AOs, but some fully received blocks which enable
extraction of some complete files (relatively simple)
 - partially revieced blocks with some fancy maths to revover parts of
them (i.e. some files) (this is what Magnus said - but except for well
ordered FEC, or null FEC, codes seems improbable)

For well ordered FEC codes, indeed prior knowledge of byte ranges of
files can be mapped to source symbols and the FEC parameters can tell
the client whether it can restore the relevant source symbols for all or
part of certain files (generally only all is useful, but for some
applications even files with corruption may be partially renderable -
e.g. corrupt images on a web page).

For the extreme-FEC-dudes, putting into nomral FLUTE TOIs, instead of
embedding into the multipart MIME, is much more robust for partial
recovery from incomplete received blocks.

Cheers, Rod.