RE: [rohc] question about rohc tcp profile

"Kristofer Sandlund \(LU/EAB\)" <kristofer.sandlund@ericsson.com> Fri, 01 December 2006 07:43 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] question about rohc tcp profile
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:43:32 +0100
From: "Kristofer Sandlund (LU/EAB)" <kristofer.sandlund@ericsson.com>
To: ben ata ibtissem <ibtissemata@yahoo.fr>, rohc@ietf.org

Hi,

just adding some more information to what Mark has already said.

If you're implementing ROHC-TCP, my most important advice would be:

a) If you are starting from scratch: Immediately shred and delete all copies
of RFC3095 that you have lying around to confusing framework with profiles.
Implement the framework from the ROHC framework draft (see below)
b) If you already have a RFC3095 implementation: Immediately shred and
delete all copies of RFC3095 that you have lying around to avoid confusing
framework with profiles. Re-use the framework implementation as-is.

So in either case, reading RFC3095 will only cause you grief (it already
has since you're asking about R-mode). ROHC-TCP does not have any _normative_
reference to RFC3095 so there is no reason to read that one when implementing
the ROHC-TCP profile.

The only documents you need to read are ROHC-TCP, ROHC-FN and ROHC Framework:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework-04.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rohc/draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation/draft-ietf-rohc-formal-notation-12.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rohc/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-14.txt

Regarding uni/bi-directional operation of the ROHC-TCP profile, the logic is
quite clearly stated in sections 4.2.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.1.2 and 5.3.2 of the tcp-14
draft, so you should read those.

BR,
   Kristofer